• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1973 Eisenhower Filled O in God? Rare type Ike

5 posts in this topic

Hi Ike Collectors--

I just posted this across the street, but I thought I'd run it by you over here as well. Does anybody know if this is a variety of Ikes? I noticed on a 1973 Brown Box Ike that the "O" in "God" is filled. It does not appear to be filled very deeply, but just does not have the shiny background to match the rest of the coin. I don't have any other 1973 proofs to compare it to, so I wanted to see if anybody else has seen this and knows if it is a known error. A photo of the coin is attached.

Thanks!

JakeBlues2

240742-1973%20Filled%20O.jpg

589a8b2070d03_240742-1973FilledO.jpg.c4e756c29a480da06f8a649d5a167d99.jpg

I know precious little about Ikes so I really can't be any help as to your original question. However, might the shallow O be a function of something like a die chip?

You think so? I don't know a lot about error types or values. If it is an error, does NGC certify this type of error?

I looked at Coneca's definition of a die chip, and they show this. However, the filling on my coin (see above) does not appear as pronounced. It is not very deep, just remarkably not shiny.

1918S1cChipsInMM.jpg

I don't know much about errors or varieties, either, it was just a suggestion. There has been a recent thread about the NGC variety service, perhaps the question you have is answered within it. Other than that, you may want to post a question on the Ask NGC board. Good luck. smile.gif