• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Half Cent lighting variations

17 posts in this topic

Actually, the lighting was essentially the same in photographing all of these except for changes in metering. The third and fourth pics are with added flash.

None of the photos were retouched.

1r.jpg

2r.jpg

3r.jpg

4r.jpg

5r.jpg

6r.jpg

Color photography is nothing more than capture of reflected energy waves which appear as mixtures of 3 basic colors (cyan, magenta and yellow). Visible light (about 400-450 Nanometer energy waves) is subtractive. In other words, what you see is, what the coin surface did not absorb or scatter (re: Polarization). If you change the subject/camera angle, the color changes because the reflected light proportions change.

Visible light reflection is also shifted by the color temperature of the original light source being emitted. That is why you use a light orange color correction filter in 10,000 degree Kelvin temperature light (electronic flash or bright blue outdoor light) and a purple correction filter for 3,500 degree Kelvin (yellow-green flourescent light).

So, you have subject color reflection and light source color to consider each time that you take a picture.

Color photography is nothing more than capture of reflected energy waves which appear as mixtures of 3 basic colors (cyan, magenta and yellow). Visible light (about 400-450 Nanometer energy waves) is subtractive. In other words, what you see is, what the coin surface did not absorb or scatter (re: Polarization). If you change the subject/camera angle, the color changes because the reflected light proportions change.

Visible light reflection is also shifted by the color temperature of the original light source being emitted. That is why you use a light orange color correction filter in 10,000 degree Kelvin temperature light (electronic flash or bright blue outdoor light) and a purple correction filter for 3,500 degree Kelvin (yellow-green flourescent light).

So, you have subject color reflection and light source color to consider each time that you take a picture.

893whatthe.gif I knew that! 27_laughing.gif

I can understand the 1st paragraph as the intensity of the light rays or waves, too much of it can wipe out the color/toning of the coin. And (see attachment) I can also relate to how the camera can only capture just a very small proportion of the light reflecting off the coin. The 2nd stance, I've haven't given much thought to as my camera Sony Mavica FD91 should have those filters in place when I use those options especially the florescent. But I realize your including photography settings with portraits.

Why I'm chimeing in here, even though I don't have the slightest idea about what I'm trying to add here, I've recently discovered a simple way to make pronounced

lighting for taking pictures of my coins and the results have been somewhat satisfying.

Great information Oldtrader3!

Thanks,

Leo

241096-Spectrum.jpg.9cfa0d41adf5940701dba55f5dedab8b.jpg

Now which pic is the closest to how it looks to the eye in typical indoor lighting ?

Actually, none of the above!

The following pic is what it looks like in an open room with daylight coming through the windows. There is a shadow cast by the sunlight used in taking this pic, however, it does look like this even under an OTT light, which is I believe a full spectrum flourescent. Interestingly, the set of pics taken at the beginning of this thread were taken using OTT lights (except for the one where the flash went off), yet they don't look like they do when the coin is viewed hand-held under an OTT light. If Oldtrader can explain that one to me...please...

1834obvrl.jpg

1834revrl.jpg

Sorry about the size.

I've recently discovered a simple way to make pronounced

lighting for taking pictures of my coins and the results have been somewhat satisfying.

Leon, what's the discovery????

That is the color I like old copper to be. Brown with hints of red peeking through!! is is slabbed and designated as BROWN?

Dr. John Ott (PhD. Sci.) invented time-lapse photography while working on Disney's film Snow White. His first experiments with time-lapse photography (making pumpkins grow for "Snow White") failed because he used flourescent light. Ott then learned how to mix gases from rare earths into his flourescent lighting to simulate natural light temperatures. This is why you can buy "Plant Lights" that that are flourescent.

You needn't ask me questions about stuff that you can look up and need to know about photography. As they say in this hobby: "Buy the book before the coin". This also holds true in Photography for: Buy the book (and read it) before buying the camera. Good luck with your photography.

Mike,

I'm not going to say right now but I will give you a clue. The new discovery does not require any kind of light bulbs or sunlight or candles for that matter and I still have pronounced light. 893whatthe.gif Figure that!

Leo 27_laughing.gif And see the attachment for an example of my works.

241537-M03P65.jpg.1e6fdee567ce887471459fc69b660987.jpg

Mike,

I'm not going to say right now but I will give you a clue. The new discovery does not require any kind of light bulbs or sunlight or candles for that matter and I still have pronounced light. 893whatthe.gif Figure that!

Leo 27_laughing.gif And see the attachment for an example of my works.

What? 893whatthe.gif Nobody believes me? 27_laughing.gif Everybody must be stumped! insane.gif

I guess I'll just keep it a secret gossip.gif and charge $35 to anyone who really wants to know. wink.gif

Leo 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And here's another pic! See attachment!

242292-M02D65.jpg.1ee819bb69e83f9d656a58288e7938bf.jpg

is is slabbed and designated as BROWN?

The NGC designation is RB.

You needn't ask me questions about stuff that you can look up and need to know about photography

Oldtrader...it's just that I know I can get a better answer from you than I can find in a book...

smile.gif

I'm not going to say right now but I will give you a clue.

Is that a scan???

There are some excellent comments here, however, I would like to point out one tiny and most likely typographical error and that is that visible light is not confined to 400-450nm, rather, it runs roughly from 380-780nm although some might counter with anywhere from 350-800nm.

is is slabbed and designated as BROWN?

The NGC designation is RB.

You needn't ask me questions about stuff that you can look up and need to know about photography

Oldtrader...it's just that I know I can get a better answer from you than I can find in a book...

smile.gif

I'm not going to say right now but I will give you a clue.

Is that a scan???

And it's not a scan or flashlight or the moon. 27_laughing.gif That wouldn't really be something of a new discovery now would it?

Leo

Tom: That is what happens when I don't go back and check facts. I get in the ballpark but not as careful and precise as I should be. Also, one of my really old books says 400-450nm. Thanks for the help.