• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patterns Are a Huge Part of Our History

9 posts in this topic

Some people feel patterns are not real coins, or that they do not represent a piece of our history the way other, regular issue coins do. In actuality, many patterns give us insight into events in the US, the background for events that transpired and even a glimpse of what might have been. Many know that the 2c piece was the first regular issue coin to include the motto "In God We Trust," but how many knew that pattern 2c pieces sported mottoes such as "God and Our Country" or "God Our Trust"? As well, patterns as early as 1861 were struck to test mottoes.

The pattern Liberty Nickel also gives us background for historical events. In 1882, the following pattern was struck. A very close variant was ultimately chosen for the regular issue Liberty Nickel.

J1690obv2.jpg

J1690rev2.jpg

When people were gold plating these nickels, the Mint scrambled to strike patterns as candidates to replace the No Cents nickel. Some contained reverses that indicated the metallic content. Others, such as this had the word Cents on the reverse:

J1717obv2.jpg

J1690rev2.jpg

We all know which was ultimately adopted. But what if this design had been chosen? What if Cents had been included in the first place?

I saved my catalogs from the Baltimore ANA auctions. There were some very nice patterns on the block. I also remember seeing a brass pattern dollar. Part of a Pattern Dollar collection I think is being auctioned at the FUN show. I should have brought my camera to Ricks table he had some super cool patterns there as well.

Mark, you did. It was J-1665, 1666 or 1667. In 1881, they were contemplating standardizing the 1c, 3c and 5c coins, and this design was tried on all three.

Thanks Rick. I did a little research. It's the J-1666 I'll be looking for. mdwoods

One of my favorite patterns. Coper-nickel J-1690, exact type of 1883. These sell for 5 figures when available. I guess its better than trying to bid on the 7 figure 1913 type coin.

My V Nickel Set is raw and in AU55-58, and this would set the Set off perfectly ! Congrats on a stunning superb coin.