• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dime Analysis

9 posts in this topic

Here are two Barber Dimes and one Seated Liberty Dimes that I have not really examined until now.

I like the 1901 because of the toning (thus the slanted picture which still does not show it all). Too bad it has a knick in the rim.

The 1912 D to me doesn't look right, it appears to be too shiny or something. Any thoughts based on the pic are definitely welcome, I am wondering if it has been dipped previously. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The 1838 Seated Libery sort of bothers me as well, in that I am concerned that it too may have been cleaned at some point. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifAny opinions on this one as well.

Thanks,

Rey

1901BarberObv.jpg

1901BarberRev.jpg

1912DBarberObv.jpg

1912DBarberRev.jpg

1883SeatedLibertyDimeObv.jpg

SeatedLibertyDimeRev.jpg

It’s kind of hard to tell from the small pictures but I’m guessing that they have all been messed with. They are all a bit light in color. If it was just a dip, that doesn’t necessarily make them problem coins and would likely slab. Obviously if they have been cleaned they would be problem coins.

Do you have any larger pics?

Yeah, the last two have probably been dipped, but as long as they don't have a dipped out look, so what? All 3 look good to me. thumbsup2.gif

I'm thinking they have all been dipped as well. The good thing is they don't look washed out. The 12-D reverse looks really nice. I like all three for what they are. They probably won't make it into a slab but that's not a problem to me. smile.gif

I would look at the surface close to/between/and inside of the lettering on the obverse, same for the wreath on reverse. If the surface looks different in these tiny small areas to what you see in the "open spaces" the coin might be altered/cleaned. You decide from the coins, the pics might show this also.

Here is one that made the grade:

100_2223.jpg

100_2222.jpg

Thank you everyone for your insight. After going back to the 1901 as well, I see where it may have been cleaned too, though not as noticeable. But as Sy and Larry noted above, I too can definitely be happy with them as is.

Thanks again,

Rey

I also look for hair lines as indicators of cleaning.

I can't really tell from the pictures, but I'm a little bit suspicious of the 1883. I would really need to look at them in hand to tell.