• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I went to a coin show yesterday...

5 posts in this topic

Nothing special. I go there every month, its elks lodge lounge in in Scottsdale, Arizona.

A few months back I bought a $10 liberty MS62 NGC gold coin for $420. He said to come back next month and he'd give me a refund. This month I did come back, but he said the cosigner left or something,and he couldn't give me the money. The greysheet price was pretty low, $370. No way I'd sell it for that. I also brought my 1788 austria ducat, and my 20 peso aztec calender gold piece (.48 oz).

I was looking for slabbed 20 dollar gold. Slabbed by ANACS, PCGS, or NGC. There was none, just lame SEGS slabbed liberties. I Don't trust segs. I don't buy raw gold anymore, its too risky because of all the counterfeited coins. Next time I go I'm going to bring my loupe and look at all the raw gold I can find to spot counterfeits, to see if I can find one, to test my skills. I have Bill Fizas's book on gold detection. So I know what to look for now.

So I ended up not buying anything. I really want to go to a bigger show someday, like in long beach.

Overall I had a good experience. That's my story.

smile.gif

Well, for God's sake, don't tell the dealers what you're looking for! Or better yet, if there are dealers that you're already friendly with, ask them if they've run into any counterfeits lately. If they're not busy with other customers, they might show you something interesting.

Actually, I've found dealers to be more open to jawing about coins at their shops than at shows, but you never know.

Well, for God's sake, don't tell the dealers what you're looking for! Or better yet, if there are dealers that you're already friendly with, ask them if they've run into any counterfeits lately. If they're not busy with other customers, they might show you something interesting.

Actually, I've found dealers to be more open to jawing about coins at their shops than at shows, but you never know.

When I look for them, I won't tell them I'm looking for them.

Thanks for the advice.