• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numismatic Study with a twist !

18 posts in this topic

Photo #1, complete die crack. From edge through letters and back to edge.

1882crackyx2.jpg

Photo #2, retained cud. Complete die crack plus the plane of the die has clearly shifted.

1882retainedcudgj6.jpg

Photo #3, full cud. Complete die crack plus the broken section of die has shifted enough to actually fall from the die and leaving a completely unstruck portion of the coin.

1882fullcudzt3.jpg

Ok, so this is a really cool die state study showing the progression of a mere crack to it's middle state of a retained cud and to it's late state of complete failure in that area. Pretty interesting stuff if you ask me. The kicker you ask? IT'S ALL ON ONE COIN! Not only is it all on one coin but the three die state stages are all on the same side and they are in order, from left to right, starting at the earliest going to the latest. If someone had tried to make a more straight forward example they couldn't have. When I saw this coin I just had to scoop it up. It's like a numismatic text book all in itself. Now that I've photo'd it, oogled it and posted about it the coin is going to be a surprise package to a buddy of mine that is a Shield Nickel freakazoid. Hope you all got as much of a kick out of this little oddity as I did.

laugh.gif

1882dssjs4.jpg

Wow, thanks Clad, I have had trouble over the past two years trying to understand the terminology and related examples of these 3 types of die states, now i got it, clear as a bell, thanks for the lesson and the looksy. I rather look at one coin than read three chapters, cool!

Cool. I would call your first photo a die break rather than a die crack, as it gets rather thick in places. The distinction is somewhat arbitrary - I use "die crack" for spidery lines. But not to worry: on the reverse you have a much thinner die crack from U (UNITED) to the rim. Not to mention what looks like another rim cud between AMERICA and CENTS.

There also may be a die crack from the right bottom leaf south to the rim. Looks like it in the photo.

Ask your shield nickel freakazoid buddy if he's a member of Yahoo Shield Nickels, where I moderate.

Howard

You have a very lucky friend, Howard. That coin represents as good a lesson in die fracture stages as could be found. It should be placed in a teaching area for all to see as no amount of explanation would hold a candle to the coin itself. Great find!!

Skippy,

The coin appears to have a small clip. Noticeable on the reverse between AMERICA and CENTS. The corresponding spot on the obverse is right about the ST in TRUST. There also looks to be a small planchet defect in this same area on the reverse. The whole coin is littered with cracks that I didn't mention in the OP.

Yeah my buddy is a member on the Yahoo forum but I'm not sure what he uses as a user name.

The coin appears to have a small clip. Noticeable on the reverse between AMERICA and CENTS. The corresponding spot on the obverse is right about the ST in TRUST. There also looks to be a small planchet defect in this same area on the reverse.

Are you sure the "clip" is not just an area of weakness from the cud on the opposite side?...Mike

p.s. neat coin & thanks for sharing!

Mike,

I'm not really sure as I'm in no way expert in the area. It sure as heck looks like a tiny clip though. I'll try to take some close ups of the area tonight. I'm not too worried about it though...clip, damage, other...doesn't really matter. I think it's cool cause of the other stuff going on.

I don't think it's a clip. Looks more to me like incomplete metal flow due to the cud (the cud soaked up a lot of the pressure of the metal flow, leaving insufficient flow to fill the die design nearby and on the opposite side).