• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1873-CC half dollar

8 posts in this topic

This half dollar gets a lot of attention from dealers when I show it to them. I'm not sure if it s rare variety or ??? ANACS has looked at it and says it's genuine, but cleaned. Any thoughts on why dealers aggressively want to buy this from me for over greysheet bid?

Thanks.

240252-1873cc_obv.jpg.8239a53b3e5884f753984be0c072c88d.jpg

You have the small CC version. Very desireable coin. Solid XF+, may go AU50 on a PCGS good day, hard to tell from scan. Looks like lots of luster in the devices. Doesn't looked cleaned from the scan, but can't really tell. Trends in AU is about $2400, but coin will sell for more because of CC. If you can get it graded PCGSAU50, $3000 is a fair retail number

TRUTH.

Thanks...I had it on Ebay a few months ago and couldn't get the $1,600 reserve.

Dealers have told me not to bother with slabbing since it is cleaned. Even NGC at Long Beach said it was XF/AU but not to bother submitting as they would "body bag" it. Interesting.

Jim,

Get the coin slabbed either by ANACS with a net grade, or by NCS. In any case, you'll want this authenticated and labeled that it is the small MM variety.

You should also look it up in the W-B book on Seated halves to see what they say. Or, simply contact Osburn.

EVP

I may have ANACS grade it. In my edition of Breen, it seems to imply the "small CC" is less rare than than the "tall CC". But perhaps all these 1873-CC halves are rare in higher grades. I bought this coin back in 1975.

Just a quick note: its cleaned, but it should still net out at $2300, as an AU Net grade 53 with Anacs. The reverse is a strong 58, and the obverse looks 55. It looks like the WB-102, ..........Nice coin !!! Congrats ! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Just for amusement....take a guess what I paid for this coin at a semi-major show in 1976.

It was from what I think many refer to as a "vest-pocket" dealer. I was only a teenager back then, but had a few bucks saved from my paper route to buy some coins.

Hint: It was less than what I sold a 1908-S "GEM BU" Indian cent for at the same show 30 minutes earlier.