• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peace dollar question

14 posts in this topic

I have these three Peace $'s of no great value other than silver. Would you dip them to clean them up or just leave them as is. I know very little about toning as it has never been of importance to me. I think dipping them might make them look a little better, but I would like your opinions. Thanks.

1922sPeaceObvRev.jpg

1922pPeaceObvRev2.jpg

1922pPeaceObvRev.jpg

Thanks Rey and Stan. But don't you think the third one looks rusted rather than toned and the second one looks stained rather than toned. I do agree the first is the most natural looking.

I think that if you were to dip them, you'd have a blast white circulated coin that would look anything but natural or original. But if you want the look of a coin that has been cleaned, that would be one way of doing it. smile.gif

I see what you are saying with the second and third one, but I need to defer to those that have more knowledge of these coins and their toning details.

Rey

If you don't have a problem with them looking as they do, then don't dip. Whoever may buy them from you or your descendants can dip them if they want.

If they absolutely give you goosebumps from their ugliness every time you look at them, then dip them, or sell them and buy ones you like (or trade).

I definitely fall into the "Don't Dip Them" camp. I actually like the look of the bottom two. As robec1347 said above, blast white circulated coins look kind of odd.

Please don't dip these. I like the first and third ones especially. If you dip them, they will be ugly, white, obviously cleaned, circulated, poorly struck peace dollars. As they are now, they are originial and interesting.

There will be NO dipping going on aroung here! 27_laughing.gif I get the point guys. Thanks a lot for all your input. As usual the majority's the way to go. I do appreciate it.

The first image appears to be a coin from the first set of hubs with detached olive branch. These were the same hubs used for 1922 low relief proofs and for the 200,000 trial pieces truck before the design was approved on Feb. 14, 1922. There’s not way to tell the trial piece from normal production made over the next month.

Several million were struck before new hubs were introduced in mid-March.

The same hubs were used to produce Denver and San Francisco dies also, so this variety is fairly common form all mints.

Leave them alone. There is nothing to be gained by dipping them. What you will end up with are a group of cirucated coins that range from pasty white (the first one) to an ugly to bright white with every mark more obvious than ever (the last one). #2 toned to the point of being damaged.