• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan Dollars Grading

12 posts in this topic

Hlo ppl

I might be the newest Morgan Dollar Collector on the planet with a few questions for just anyone that feels like jumping in.

Take a look at this one...........Do they ever pan out on being what they say on the protector...... MS 65 !

239987-front.jpg.5203071cb8793fbd4ce93266702ec6a4.jpg

I`m not sure what your asking. Are you asking if the coin in the picture is MS65? If so I have no idea. Too small of a pic.If your asking if all coins in a 2x2 flip is the real grade as said on the flip? No! I was at a coin shop about 3 weeks ago and looking at some Morgans. They had some MS65`s and looked like [!@#%^&^]. About MS62 at best! So sometimes they are and sometimes they aren`t. That`s why it`s best to be able to look at it in your hand. Unless it`s from somebody you trust. In that case you your own judgement.

Even if it is a 65 ( a long,long, looooooong,shot ) it's still not worth the money asked for. I walk out of any dealer that presents coins in this manner. I also keep a list of any online presenters who market in this way. cool.gif

First of all thanks cc and az for taking the time !

I think what I was asking do some or most people ove rate a coin when they are not professionals ?

Thats actually how I found this site by owning a few coins that have been looked at and graded and put in the protective plastic case by NGCOA/ANA people. I have not made it to a coin show yet or even a coin shop either so most of the coins I buy come off the Net.

That leads me to another question do you guys think that prices are actually higher on places like Ebay than they would be from a coin shop ? ( because of the bidding amoungest collectors )

ok thanks guys for the advice

ps............i got the 1883 for 42 bucko plus shipping and handling

ZZ, I would NEVER rely on any grade stated by any seller online or in person at a shop or a show. You need to learn how to grade for yourself. And that takes time. You might want to start by looking at the morgans on http://apps.heritagecoin.com/ . They provide large pictures with excellent detail. Also I would not buy anything on E-Bay unless large good quality photos are provided and the seller has a return policy and an excellent reputation. The only slabbed coins I would buy are NGC or PCGS, but here again only if large pictures with good detail are provided. As far as buying at coin shop or Ebay, I've gotten good deals with both but you have to hunt for them. cool.gif

New Morg collector huh? Great! Morgs are great coins and a lot of fun.

The answee to your question "Do they ever pan out on being what they say on the protector?" is NO.

It seems like ½ the Morgans for sale have been cleaned, dipped, or artificially toned so the best thing I can say if you are going to buy them on the net save yourself some headaches & problems by buying them in PCGS or NGC holders. Lots safer that way and besides, if you don't like slabs just crack them out & you'll know that you have a problem free coin for your Dansco or whatever.