• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Buying the 1947 Red Book Reprint?

8 posts in this topic

I was at hobby lobby the other day looking at colored sand to simulate craters when I noticed that apparently Whitman has re-issued the 1947 Red Book in hardcover form. It has a suggested retail price of $17.95. I didn't pick up a copy because the two they had on the shelf had torn covers, but I was thinking this would make an interesting addition to a collection for those of us young'uns who weren't around in 1947 to buy the first edition.

Has anyone bought a copy?

I have a 1959 that my father used and it is quite interesting to go back and see what they listed as values for coins back then.

Rey

if i did not have the original 1947 edition

i would never buy a reprint or even an original for that matter

but i would invest 18 dollars or less if i could get it for the 2008 red book now that is a superb updated red book with good information i use it daily

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure. I bought a copy at the TNA, but I didn't pay $18 for it. I guess it just depends on who you know. It's an interesting bit of history.

I guess it might look foolish, but I have a complete date set of standard hard cover Red books from the first edition to last year. I don't have any of the varieties except the one they gave out at the FUN show 50th anniversary dinner a couple years.

These books are interesting, and it's worth noting some of the errors in them. For example the 1805, small 5, stems half cent is a scarce Red Book variety. (There are actually two varieties of this one very scarce the other very rare) For years collectors were constantly confusing this variety with the large 5, stems pieces. Why? Because the one pictured in the Red Book at the large 5 not the small five!