• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help me grade this arly dime and half dime

11 posts in this topic

Well, it looks like you imaged them with a scanner, which makes things difficult. However, I think that there's enough there to say that neither coin would grade at NGC.

The 1829 1/2 Dime is a nice looking coin. I would say AU Details but lightly cleaned. This issue comes P/L, so it may be okay. Again, it is hard to tell from a scan because the surfaces don't show up properly.

The 1831 Dime will get bagged for cleaning and/or damage. It is a Net VG coin, but will never be entombed in plastic, which is okay with me.

I agree that the dime looks pretty awful, but I'm not sure that there is a problem with the half dime. I'd call it an AU from the pictures. What are you guys seeing that leads you to think it was cleaned?

The half dime is AU, no question. I can't speak to its surfaces though with those images. It's a late die state example of the LM13.2/V12a die re-marriage, an R1 coin. I say "late die state" and not "very late" because there is one die crack that has not yet begun to show, along the tops of MER in AMERICA.

Your H10C should fetch between $100-$200 at auction. It's sharp! As you already know it was the first year for the half dime busty and the mintage was fairly small on this whole series. (29 is probably more common in the market). It looks to me from the photo, but hard to tell for sure, it has been cleaned in the past and allowed to retone over time. Maybe a ANASA holder would bring a higher value.

The dime probably would not bring over $30-$50 but who knows? Nice old coins, thanks for showing us.