• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st night of the N.H. Coin Expo.....

8 posts in this topic

Went quite well for me. Actually good and bad. Sold at least 1/2 of my buffalo nickel inventory, and a bunch of miscellaneous type pieces. I probably should have kept the stuff in hiding until the general public could attend, but I didn't. I'm hunting around for some other material to fill the holes, and having some luck, but not a ton.

The hall/convention center is quite nice. Very comfortable and lots of room in the aisles, and at the tables.

I met up with Tonelover, and Toneddollars. Always a pleasure talking with these gentleman.

I'm heading up early this morning to make a gallant run through the floor, and find some new "stuff". Two dealers have put aside a couple of pieces for me to check out this morning so I'll get to them first, and then hit the dealers that didn't set up last night.

All in all it was a good first night for me and I'm expecting a bigger day today.

Nothing disastrous so far, but it's only been one night......

Darin,

I understand that you are in the retail arena, and would prefer to build up a nice clientele of retail folk that keep on coming back to you. But, the truth is, all dealers tend to do the greatest volume business with other dealers.

And, volume business is what keeps your operating efficiency at a manageable level.

What you may wish to consider doing is to keep your newps separate from your old friends. During setup, put out your old friends. To whomever buys the old friends, that is great as long as you are comfortable with the return. They are, after all, old friends.

Offer your newps to your customers. People like to own what others want and weren't offered. It's psychology. Go figure!

I understand that my advice wouldn't have worked for your first show, since everything is both an old friend *and* a newp. And, you really also don't have much of a retail biz. But, let's not dwell on the past. Learn from it, and look to the future.

Best of luck with this!

EVP

Although, I should add, that I don't have a large retail base, but I do have a decent dealer base with whom I do business, and those dealers keep coming back to the table. smile.gif

It is fine to have a dealer-customer base. For the better dealers, treat them to your newps. Tell them that they are getting "first shot", even if they really aren't!

When given a special preview of your newps, they feel obligated not to waste the time, opportunity and good will.

EVP