• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any updates?

6 posts in this topic

A while back, I inquired if anyone had seen any definitive numbers on the mintage totals for the 1998 S matte proof or SMS (designation depending on grading service) Kennedy half dollar. The only evidence I have found since March is an entry in the 2007 "Official Blackbook Priceguide to US Coins" which gives a figure of 106,000. Since that is the same as the number of RFK uncirculated commemoratives, that would not seem correct to me. Not every RFK dollar was sold in that particular set. It seems odd that no one has a definitive figure. We know the number must be low enough to justify the approximate cost of $300.00, but someone should know how many of the combo sets were sold.

Thanks--I really appreciate it. You would be surprised how many folks are surprised when they grab a Red Book and find no answer. That number you provided is one I did hear once, but no reference for it and it was challenged almost immediately. I will use you info for my refence now--it makes sense based on the total RFK numbers, too. Must be info that went lost. Good research.

Yes, that is what you posted back to me in March, but almost immediately thereafter, someone else contradicted your post. I continued searching, even on Google, but could not get a reference like the one above. Even dealers with glowing reviews could not come up with a verifiable number. I promise I will never ask again.