• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007 Little Rock Silver Dollar

11 posts in this topic

What do you collectors and speculators think about the 2007 Little Rock Central High School Desegregation Proof Silver Dollar? 1/2 a million being minted - seems as if it wont appreciate much in the very near future due to the volume being released - any thoughts?

This was just the prom right? The schools themselves weren’t segregated…right?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif What are you trying to write? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don’t know, perhaps I’ve lost it tongue.gif. I was watching the news the other day and there was something about the first desegregated Prom for a school that I thought was in Little Rock. Are these coins commemorating that or are these coins commemorating the actual desegregation of schools.

Okay got it now. Here is a link to these coins. Not sure what the answer to the original question is but this is one of the better recent initiatives from the mint IMHO.

I don’t know, perhaps I’ve lost it tongue.gif. I was watching the news the other day and there was something about the first desegregated Prom for a school that I thought was in Little Rock. Are these coins commemorating that or are these coins commemorating the actual desegregation of schools.
Are you saying this is about Jungle Fever? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are you saying this is about Jungle Fever? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

From what I briefly caught in the newscast it appeared more like couples of similar races were now willing to attend the same prom instead of each race having their own prom. I didn’t see any racially mixed couples in the newscast but they may just have not been a part of the newscast. I know that we had numerous mixed couples attend the proms that I attended.

Maybe I'm getting too old, but as a young fellow of about ten years, I remember President Eisenhower sending in the troops to enforce the desegregation order. One of the first instances of that happening. The events with Gov. Wallace in Alabama came much later. That view of Central High on the coin is a distinct memory of the event. Just thought I'd comment on the actual history--I'm sure there is a lot out there on the actual event.

These types of commemoratives are another reason I believe our hobby is so wonderful.

Maybe I'm getting too old, but as a young fellow of about ten years, I remember President Eisenhower sending in the troops to enforce the desegregation order. One of the first instances of that happening. The events with Gov. Wallace in Alabama came much later. That view of Central High on the coin is a distinct memory of the event. Just thought I'd comment on the actual history--I'm sure there is a lot out there on the actual event.

These types of commemoratives are another reason I believe our hobby is so wonderful.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Oddly enough in many parts of the country the big thing now is to have SEGREGATED proms at schools where they have always been integrated in the past. (well actually that isn't quite right. They have an integrated prom, and a blacks only prom organized and run by the black student body. The segregation is at the request of the blacks.)

Oddly enough in many parts of the country the big thing now is to have SEGREGATED proms at schools where they have always been integrated in the past. (well actually that isn't quite right. They have an integrated prom, and a blacks only prom organized and run by the black student body. The segregation is at the request of the blacks.)
Interesting. Although I haven't read it, this reminds me of McWhorter's controversial book, "Losing the Race."