• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Variety question - 1851 1/2 C-1

19 posts in this topic

I have a submission with NGC that is Scheduled for Grading. In this order I have an 1851 1/2C that they added a varity of C-1. What does this mean?

For those interested the other coins are:

1833 1C

1805 1C

1810 1/2 C

1865 2c

1954 1C

1909 VDB

1937 10C

1914 10C

1856 SMALL DATE 10C

1907 25C

1826 50C

1867-S 50C

1901 50C

1954 50C

And before you get too excited, there is only one 1851 half cent variety. So Cohen -1 means you have the whole set. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I also found that when I was collecting half cents, that 1851 was pretty close to the most common date in the 1849 to 1857 series.

Thanks for the info, didn't ask for the variety but they added it and was curious about it. Rey, when I get the grades I will post them. I don't think I will get them for another two weeks unless they change the turnaround times. They were received on 04/26/2007 on the Economy level which is back down to 21 days, was up to 31, so I may get them sooner than later.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC automatically includes variety attributions for those Bust coin dates having just one die marriage (variety). This is done to avoid splitting the population of these coins into two lines for attributed and non-attributed pieces.

Bill, the only Braided Halr 1/2s I typically see are the 1855s, followed by the 1853. Rarely see anything else.

Back when I was collecting half cents by die variety in the Boston area in the 1980s, I saw more 1851 dated coins than anything else. The 1853 is also very common. The three "better dates" (although not super better) were 1849 (large date), 1857 and the 1850, which was a "sleeper" IMO.

They went to Quality Control this afternoon, so hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday I will get the grades. yay.gif

Well, grades are finally in with bad results:

1833 1C - CORROSION

1805 1C - CORROSION

1810 1/2 C - CORROSION

1851 1/2 C - IMPROPERLY CLEANED

1865 2c - VF30BN

1954 1C - PF66RD

1909 VDB - MS64RB

1937 10C - MS66

1914 10C - VF30

1856 SMALL DATE 10C - VG8

1907 25C - POLISHED

1826 50C - IMPROPERLY CLEANED

1867-S 50C - IMPROPERLY CLEANED

1901 50C - IMPROPERLY CLEANED

1954 50C - PF65

confused-smiley-013.gif

i dont think coins over 100 yrs old should be bb due to corosion. metal corodes aftr so long! sorry to see those grades

Dwaine,

All is not lost however, some good grades on the others, my VDB came back Friday Artificially colored, yours turned out good I see. The other ones are good too. Even the ones that are cleaned etc. as you know, still have value to the right person.

My last submittal came back with 5 out of 16 cleaned in addition to the VDB.

1937 S Washington (this one hurt)

1936 D Mercury Dime

1916 Mercury Dime

1897 S Dollar

1890 S Dollar

Both Morgans didn't set well with me either since these were the last two of mine that I was going to submit that I figured would grade high enough to make it cost effective. I hand picked them for grading after careful examination and ended up with this. Oh well....

Still learning and that is half the fun and excitement of this hobby I have found.

As you get a chance, post pics of the coins both graded and BBd. Would really like to see them.

Rey

That's pretty typical lately for NGC. I think anyone submitting other than moderns would not be real happy lately with NGC's grading on the older coins. I guess raw is the best way to go to sell and buy slabbed? That kind of sucks doesn't it.

Well, grades are finally in with bad results:

1833 1C - CORROSION

1805 1C - CORROSION

1810 1/2 C - CORROSION

1851 1/2 C - IMPROPERLY CLEANED

1865 2c - VF30BN

1954 1C - PF66RD

1909 VDB - MS64RB

1937 10C - MS66

1914 10C - VF30

1856 SMALL DATE 10C - VG8

1907 25C - POLISHED

1826 50C - IMPROPERLY CLEANED

1867-S 50C - IMPROPERLY CLEANED

1901 50C - IMPROPERLY CLEANED

1954 50C - PF65

confused-smiley-013.gif

Wow, pretty dramatic way to lesson a lesson, there! If you need help selling the problem coins, let me know.

That's pretty typical lately for NGC. I think anyone submitting other than moderns would not be real happy lately with NGC's grading on the older coins. I guess raw is the best way to go to sell and buy slabbed? That kind of sucks doesn't it.

I think that there must be a body bag quota. Sure I've some coins get bagged that were marginal and deserved it, but I've had some others that were just done for spite.

An 1874 with arrows qurater immediately comes to mind. The coin was toned to a totally natural golden brown with with some darker areas that were NOT pitted. There was mint luster under the toning that was as plain as day. In short the coin was a totally natural piece that could have easily gone into an EF-45 and AU-50 holder. Yet it came back “environmentally damaged” which was a load of garbage.

The proof was at the next show I did. A veteran dealer paid me a strong price for the coin raw. That's not as easy as it sounds because the 1873-4 with arrows coins are not the easiest types to sell. Many collectors ignore them.

AND Yes, I told the dealer up front that NGC had body bagged the coin. He could only shake his head. confused-smiley-013.gif

While the services need to protect the integrity of their product, they need to realize that not everyone who gets ripped with an unwarranted body bag is going to give them a second chance. I am sure as hell not going to reward NGC for bad behavior by sending something to NCS. Customers who have been a part of this hobby for many years have as much expertise as their graders. When treat your customer with a lack of respect and refuse to even discuss the issue, you are treading in territory that will cost you business and the respect of the collector community.

Arrogance is not a sound marketing policy. One can't expect anythign else from PCGS. Their management has "I am ALWAYS right" tatooed on their foreheads and probably other body parts. But one would hope that NGC would try to one up their rival by having a dialog instead of lecture. sign-rantpost.gif

When I get them back I will post pictures. I was pleased with most of the grades I did receive.

they need to realize that not everyone who gets ripped with an unwarranted body bag is going to give them a second chance.

I'm sure they know that not everyone will, but many will and those that don't will often try to dispose of their "problem" coin and the next guy probably will send it back in. They still get their repeat fees, just not from the same person. They don't care who send them the money, as long as someone does.

I think that there must be a body bag quota. Sure I've some coins get bagged that were marginal and deserved it, but I've had some others that were just done for spite.

Bill, After examining the pictures of the coins that bagged here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...;gonew=1#UNREAD Do you still feel this way? Just wondering...Mike