• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pre-cautions

9 posts in this topic

just curious. has anyone worried about a coin to the point that they would 'acetone' a coin prior to submitting to a tpg to try and avoid future problems? like for instance to prevent spotting etc. welcome all comments.

halfpint

popcorn.gif

If the coin has been in a PVC flip for a very long time, yes.

Also, it seems that new proofs that are exposed air sometimes develop fingerprints, so maybe acetone baths would be a good idea prior to submitting them. Though I am not certain on how effective this practice is...

From reading the title, this isn’t what I thought the thread was going to be about at all hum.gif

Enlighten us on the inner workings of the "Ware" mind smile.gif

From reading the title, this isn’t what I thought the thread was going to be about at all hum.gif

Enlighten us on the inner workings of the "Ware" mind smile.gif

I was more familiar with the term “pre-cautions” in “coming of age” type discussions. I was hoping for a nice thread on that type of “pre-cautions.”

Personally, I think it's good practice to Acetone any new coin your receive, not only prior to slabbing, but prior to going in an album or 2X2. The acetone will remove any oils and salts from handling with fingers and prevent possible ugly toning/verdigis/corrosion down the road.

JJ

Is that regardless of the metal - gold/platinum/silver?

I've never used it on Platinum, but have used it on copper, copper-nickel, bronze, silver and gold with no ill effects.

JJ

Personally, I think it's good practice to Acetone any new coin your receive, not only prior to slabbing, but prior to going in an album or 2X2. The acetone will remove any oils and salts from handling with fingers and prevent possible ugly toning/verdigis/corrosion down the road.

JJ

I was actually going to say the exact same thing. It is routine policy for me to give the coin an acetone bath whether I think it needs it or not, because I have no idea what might be there that I can't see.