• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

an interesting article about the ultimate, SEXY mint made error coin

22 posts in this topic

The 1955 Doubled-Die Cent: Once a Novelty, Now a Coveted Rarity

Mint errors are all the rage these days. In recent months, the United States Mint has turned out a dizzying array of misstruck coins – some of them so unusual that they never had been encountered before in the Mint’s more than 200-year history. These coins are bringing impressive prices as collectibles – sometimes in the tens of thousands of dollars. The jury is still out, though, on just how rare and valuable they are, and where their price levels eventually will settle in the marketplace.

There is no such uncertainty regarding the 1955 doubled-die cent.

This coin, one of the most dramatic U.S. mint errors of the 20th century, has established a solid track record over the years, and collectors now feel comfortable that they know how rare it is and how much it’s worth.

Most important, it has grown in stature from a novelty item to a legitimate rarity – one that is now among the most coveted and valuable components of the enormously popular Lincoln cent series.

Doubled-die coins result from mistakes in the making of dies for the coins, rather than in the striking of the coins themselves. With the 1955 doubled-die cents, it wasn’t a case of each coin being struck more than once in shifted positions; rather, it was a matter of each defective coin being struck just once with a die on which the doubling already was stamped. This doubling, in turn, occurred when the die received multiple strikes from a hub in misaligned positions. Technicians apply more than one blow to a die in order to impart the design with sharp detail. Only the obverse (or “heads” side) of the 1955 mint error was affected; there was no doubling on the reverse. But the obverse doubling was obvious to the naked eye, especially in the date and inscriptions.

According to knowledgeable sources, the mistake was discovered before the coins left the Philadelphia Mint. But because they had become interspersed with normal cents, it was decided to release them. By contrast, the Mint has acknowledged destroying thousands of coins following the recent discovery of the “mule” error combining the obverse of a statehood Washington quarter with the reverse of a Sacagawea dollar. At least a handful got out anyway. There’s no way of knowing exactly how many 1955 doubled-die cents escaped, but the figure 20,000 is widely accepted. These coins turned up initially in the East, especially in New England, and their rarity and value weren’t fully grasped in the beginning. As time went by, however, and only limited numbers were accounted for, the coins’ market value rose steadily and significantly. Today, they’re worth over one thousand dollars even in xf/au condition, and many tens of thousands thousands in gem full original red. That puts them high on the list of Lincoln cent “keys,” right up there with the 1909-S VDB and the 1914-D.

Make no mistake, the 1955 doubled-die cent is a numismatic aristocrat now. It may not be novel any more, but it’s definitely noble.

reformatted and adjusted from an article from www.jeffersoncb.com

I've never really considered Abe SEXY by any stretch of the imagination...but like Hallmark, "it made me look"

The 55 doubled die cent sure is SEXY thoughcheerleader.gif, thanks for the reminder.

I've never really considered Abe SEXY by any stretch of the imagination...but like Hallmark, "it made me look"

The 55 doubled die cent sure is SEXY thoughcheerleader.gif, thanks for the reminder.

1795752-th_animal006.jpgcheerleader.gif27_laughing.gif I think i am seeing doubled.

1795752-th_animal006.jpg.8238ab1ba153dda791da8a87d15e296a.jpg

Today, they’re worth over one thousand dollars even in xf/au condition, and many tens of thousands thousands in gem full original red
I have to take issue with the "many tens of thousands thousands in gem full original red" part. That seems at least somewhat exaggerated, unless "many" equates to less than 5 or 6.

takeit.gif What is the grade on that beauty?
It looks like a solid AU to me.

devil.gif

grin.gifThat is a very nice example hail.giftakeit.gif

Today, they’re worth over one thousand dollars even in xf/au condition, and many tens of thousands thousands in gem full original red

yes it has to do with worth WORTH

today they are worth over 1000 dollars in xf/au condition

and many tens of thousands in gem original full red

(tens of thousands of dollars)

if i MEANT TO SAY TENS OF THOUSANDS OF EXAMPLES I WOULD HAVE SAID AND MANY TENS OF THOUSANDS OF EXAMPLES ARE AVAILABLE IN GEM ORIGINAL FULL RED

it is assumed in this sentence when you start meaning $$$$ you mean dollars in the next (later) part

takeit.gif What is the grade on that beauty?
It looks like a solid AU to me.

devil.gif

Yes it certainly is a solid AU. wink.gifstooges.gif

yes it has to do with worth WORTH

today they are worth over 1000 dollars in xf/au condition

and many tens of thousands in gem original full red

(tens of thousands of dollars)

if i MEANT TO SAY TENS OF THOUSANDS OF EXAMPLES I WOULD HAVE SAID AND MANY TENS OF THOUSANDS OF EXAMPLES ARE AVAILABLE IN GEM ORIGINAL FULL RED

it is assumed in this sentence when you start meaning $$$$ you mean dollars in the next (later) part

Michael, I understood perfectly well that the "many tens of thousands" was in reference to value and not the number of "gem original full red" examples extant. However, I don't think that they are worth "many tens of thousands". Please define "gem" and "many"? Thank you and don't be grumpy.

mark and i see your point it is correct and well taken

flowerred.gif

i stand corrected, and yes when i posted this 27_laughing.gif i have to admit i had my knickers in a twist

i apologise my friend, i got to try better to make my thoughts more clearer in words thumbsup2.gif

mark and i see your point it is correct and well taken

flowerred.gif

i stand corrected, and yes when i posted this 27_laughing.gif i have to admit i had my knickers in a twist

i apologise my friend, i got to try better to make my thoughts more clearer in words thumbsup2.gif

Michael, you're such a pushover when you're no longer grumpy. grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif