• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mercury Dime Surface Blemishes

3 posts in this topic

As I was going through my Winged Liberty Head (Mercury) Dimes today I found this 1943 D which has something going with the surface. There are several round/circular raised blemishes on the obverse, in the area of the date, on the bottom of the neck and below the motto. There also seems to be an area between the L of Liberty and the motto where some of the final surface layer seems to be missing. (excuse my terminology). The circular blemishes look like "craters on the moon". The same thing is goin on with the Reverse in and around the word Dime.

Any ideas on what this is and what it is called?

Does it have a negative effect on the condition/grade of the coin?

Thanks,

Rey

1943DObvwithCircles-1.jpg

1943DRevwithCircles-1.jpg

It's not unusual for late date Mercs to have excessive die polish lines, especially on the obverse, and this may create some odd looking surfaces. However, the craters you are writing about are something I have never seen. If these craters are actually simply stains then they would be similar to stains that are often seen on Philadelphia mint Peace dollars from 1922-1923 and may have been from an incomplete planchet rinse.