• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let the Ladies have their day...

14 posts in this topic

sign-rantpost.gif

So why in these times of being off the gold standard do we need 9 different gold coins every year. I think the American Eagle program has had a good successful run and now it should retire or take an extended leave of absence and let the 1st lady coins fulfill the needs of collectors and builllion traders, all over.

These women have contributed greatly to our national heritage, they deserve to be remembered and honored.

Is that all it takes is a 'W' (not even 1/2 the size of the one on the screen) to make a coin worth 5X more, what happened to art, aesthetics, a fine engraving.

Keleum,

I have to say that I fully agree with you and than I don't.

AGREE: Your right, the first ladies should be celebrated, I like to see some new faces anyway.

DO NOT AGREE: I personally do not collect the gold eagles but a lot of people do and look forward each year to the new release.

AGREE: There is more to a coin than just $$$$.

Why make 9 different coins, well because there are so many different people out there, I guess the mint is trying to please everyone, but than again it could all be about the money. Take your choice!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Dave

Is that all it takes is a 'W' (not even 1/2 the size of the one on the screen) to make a coin worth 5X more
Yes. If not a W, a CC, D(ahlonega), S, etc. often works just as well. Mintmarks have made some coins worth a lot more to collectors long before the Mint ever figured it out. They are finally understanding and catering to collectors.

I disagree with your sentiment about canceling the American Eagles. They should cancel the First Spouse program. The American Eagle gold bullion coins are issed in many denominations for the casual investor, or the hardcore bullion hoarder. They will always be far more accepted worldwide. There's something about holding 1 oz of gold in your hand that just feels right.

JMHO

PS: I really think that they should cancel all modern bullion programs and bring back the OLD GOLD! headbang.gif

There's something about holding 1 oz of gold in your hand that just feels right.
But none of your classic gold type set coins are 1 oz! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It would have been really nice if they minted them on commemorative halfs in silver instead of gold $10. It would have made them more accessable to a wider range of collectors.

Just my humble opinion.

There's something about holding 1 oz of gold in your hand that just feels right.
But none of your classic gold type set coins are 1 oz! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My 1926 MS63 Saint is cloud9.gif

ANACS graded it, so NGC won't allow it in their registry sorry.gif

They should cancel the First Spouse program.

Ch...ch...chad, whash wrong wif a Firs Souse progrum? Hiccup!

Chris

You guys don't have to be so nice to me. I certainly understand I'm in the unpopular view. But life changes, even those glorious Saints ended.

My only real grief is that there isn't a silver version of the spouse coins.