• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hot Market?

13 posts in this topic

After bidding and buying in several auctions since the Hype started on this "Hot Market". I don't see it, at least not on the market segments where I normally bid in auctions.

20th Century and generic gold is down, Peace Dollars are spotty except for exceptional key coins. Modern Proofs are down, as are Franklin and Kennedy Half's. All generic type coins appear to have slipped.

IMHO, it seems that this market was a "Bubble" of modern coins only, but the bubble seems to be over. Dealers say that they can not find enough material to supply their customers. Usually this indicates a slower/lower market where collector's are holding, not selling. In hot markets with higher prices, collectors as well as investors sell more coins than during slow markets. "Show me the Beef"! I am not seeing it. tongue.gif

Colorful commems are still doing well, and a lot of early Type is hard to find right now. The modern bubble is slipping because every dealer in the US seems to be fighting to make the next MS-68 state quarter.

I would not have known about the toned Commens. For whatever reasons, I have never collected them. However, I am glad to see that something is working. I just wonder if the reason early type is not available is that collectors won't sell at these price levels? Better gold has dried up as well.

If you are a dealer with a lot of old stock to get rid of then you talk up the market like it is hot and hope someone will believe you. Other then that there is only small pockets of the market which could be considered hot.

Most moderns are still going up or holding steady. There are several areas which have eroded somewhat, but these were mostly specific high grade stuff which was overhyped. If you don't believe it try buying or selling a 1969 dime roll.

well for me i think that certain 20 th century coina are great like better date walkers in the short series in 66 and above but with the right look

if they are nice original toned with a thick skin that ot me is still a good coin also generic gold to me is really good especially so the undervalued ms64 63 saints

pcgs/ngc but decent coins not the dogs in the holders that are barely 61 coins or with streaks or copper spots

any coin in a series even like proof singles that has exceptional eye appeal like proof mercs but cameo or toned really great toned coins those are great but rull of the mill dipped ugly shallowed mirrored hairlines coins like in proof mercs no those coins are not good

also the really commom date dipped blast white walkers and the ones that ARE RETONED

the light golden on the edges in 65 66 no tohse are not good coins

i mean a great coin would be a 67 buff lets say a comm on date 37d but in ms 67 a real 67 with monsyter toning then that to me is a great coin!

maybe condition rare but with the tonig it is monster great! there are always exceptions to the rules!

i mean the coin has to be ezceptional and not run iof the mill and if high grade and low pop like the buff as above then excpetiional surfaces! then a great coin!

sincerely michael

thanks guys!! i have so much to say i just cant wait to get it out. i need a secretary............lol

i think the market is becoming quality!! ALSO IT CAN BE ANY GRADE ALSO i mean i had a poor one grade chain cent pcgs

but the coin was the deepest chocolate undamaged unporous coin i had ever seen no bumps at all and this coin was a great coin

i wish i kept it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

quality over rarity anyday even moreso is exceprtional eye appeal over rarity any day but of course both would be nice!

sincerely michael

We posted this on our web site recently:

Overhyped Hype?

While the talk in the industry is of a booming market, we're still seeing a very two-tiered environment out there. Many coins are not selling for prices any higher than they were a year or two ago. (Although we admit that most everything is easier to sell.) The "crazy" prices are being paid for a relatively select group. These mainly consist of low population pieces that fit into the "Registry program." Of course, two other hot areas are gorgeously toned silver commems and the 1936-42 proof material we've written about before. But in reality, many areas have not seen much price pressure, and there are still numerous bargains to be found. Dated Twentieth Century gold, almost all mintstate silver type (especially Seated and Barber material), silver commemoratives that do not have spectacular color, proof nickel coinage and Peace Dollars are all still available at very reasonable levels.

We are not trying to take the wind out of the sails of those touting this as a hot market. In many ways it is. But we want to point out that this Bull market, if that's what it is, is still in its infancy. For those who are adding to your collections now, this is a good thing, especially if you're targeting coins that are currently out of the spotlight

This was written 5-6 years ago and it reads as if it could have been written last week. This two-tiered market has been going on a long time. However, I usually play in the areas that are often ignored and lately I've seen some stronger prices on these coins too. Maybe some people are getting priced out of the more populare series and are moving into some of the less popular series where prices haven't moved much. (shrug)