• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof Sac Error

6 posts in this topic

I received my 2003 silver proof sets a couple of weeks ago. When I opened the first one I noticed something odd about the dollar. I posted a scan on RCC and Mike Diamond helped me identify the error. It's a struck-in rim burr. Not being an error collector I had to look it up in Alan Herbert's book to understand what caused it.

I managed to get a digital picture, though not a good one but better than the scan.

http://webpages.charter.net/thompsonrft/coin/coin_pages/Proof_Sac.html

With all this talk of error vs variety I figured someone might like to see a certain error. I have no immediate plans to sell, but I was wondering what something like this would go for. Anyone have an idea?

Looks like a die crack extending from the babies blanket and into the rim near the 3. The rim burr looks like a seperate error. It could also be a lamination error.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Looks like a die crack extending from the babies blanket and into the rim near the 3. The rim burr looks like a seperate error. It could also be a lamination error.

It's no die crack. The line you see that looks like a crack is incuse, not raised. If you look close you can see that the line doesn't go completely to the rim but loops back around near the rim and joins right in where the rim damage starts. A better picture might help.

At first I thought it was either a strike through or lamination, but I wasn't sure how the rim got damaged. I also considered it might be damage after the striking and wondered if I should send it back for replacement.

It turns out it is a strike through, but the metal that was struck through came from the rim that was damaged, probably during the upsetting process. I'm not sure what is in the core of these things but it has a red tint to it on the rim where the outer layer was knocked off.

It does come to a point, and then loops back. Strike throughs, and lamination errors do this. By viewing the coin it looks like a lamination error but it could also be a strike through. Hard to tell by the picture. Cool coin I like it.Great find.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif