• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is this 1802 large cent to far gone ?

17 posts in this topic

I like this coin but with all this verdigre on the reverce is it beond saving ?

1786949-0ee7_12.jpg

1786949-1065_12.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1786949-1065_12.jpg.1c3f9df85a800c673a20dd8ac0969917.jpg

Looks like it's been cleaned. Since those were pure copper, the color is unnatural. It would be very, very rare to find a red pure copper large cent. In fact, I have only seen some red-brown coins from the 1850s. Anything with more red were cleaned--it's just the chemistry of copper.

I supposed you can purchase it and do your own toning (e.g., Dellers Darkener). confused-smiley-013.gif

Scott hi.gif

Thanks for the information i gess i will let it lie as i have just got an email about it and he says his reserve price is $200 tongue.gif o well back to the hunt !! thumbsup2.gif

I see this coin as having F-15 details but it was cleaned long ago and you're right about the vertigris...it won't go away after you purchase the coin. That being said though, I'd be expecting to pay at least $200 for a choice F12 1802...the ones I've been drooling over most recently have gone up to $300...FWIW...L

My rule of thumb with any coin is that if I'm saying "I like this coin but..." then I don't get the coin, because whatever the 'but' is, I'm going to hate it in 6 months and want to sell the coin.

James

Are you saying that someone can stop verdigris and remove its damage? If so I would like to know who they are for future reference. Thanks.

Jim... dirt can be removed...vertigris can be removed as well but it's a hit or miss proposition as to whether or not there's corrosion underneath. I might be wrong on this but I don't think very much if anything can be done to conserve the coin once it's been corroded. There are definitely some very knowledgeable copper people on these boards, perhaps they could weigh in here...L

James

Are you saying that someone can stop verdigris and remove its damage? If so I would like to know who they are for future reference. Thanks.

Jim, this is what I understand - at least in some cases. I believe the procedure would be to soak the coin in olive oil for (potentially) a very long time, and wait for the encrustation to dissolve.

James

Jim, this is what I understand - at least in some cases. I believe the procedure would be to soak the coin in olive oil for (potentially) a very long time, and wait for the encrustation to dissolve.

thats what we do in the uk with our roman grots

I leave them in the Olive oil for up to 6 months and then use a cocktail stick to pick the grot off thumbsup2.gif

James

This is exactly what I did with an 1820/19 I recently sold on eBay. I had this coin in olive oil for 9 months but could get the coin to look no better than:

9563_1.jpg

95c7_1.jpg

I'm sure there's something else that could have been done to this coin but I'm not willing to go much further than acetone and olive oil in efforts to conserve such obviously corroded pieces. L

I certainly wish I had known that, as I recently sold this coin for half its value due to the verdigris.

1862obvrevactual-1.jpg

Olive oil may have removed the verdigrees on this, but once removed there would've been pitting and still would be considered a problem coin.

JJ

This coin has a lot of meat left on it and so it's desirable in that regard. However, the reverse corrosion appears to have eaten into the surfaces and is beyond salvation. It is probably active and could be stabalized, though.

It's either live with the verdigris, or clean it. I think either way a coin would BB because of it if someone attempted to slab.