• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I received something interesting in the mail today

12 posts in this topic

From time to time, I bid on some coins through American Coin and Stamp Brokers (ACSB). This is the envelope from the May catalog. The envelope already had metered postage, so these stamps weren't cancelled. I assume that this was intentional, and ACSB is just trying to promote their stamp auctions. All the same, I think it's pretty cool!

1786633-IMG_1559.JPG1786633-IMG_1560.JPG1786633-IMG_1561.JPG1786633-IMG_1563.JPG1786633-IMG_1564.JPG1786633-IMG_1565.JPG1786633-IMG_1566.JPG

Chris

1786633-IMG_1566.JPG.8c45ed3d42f05f1a3c3ad54d71c25b14.JPG

Chris,

I know the fellas over at ACSB. They've accumulated tens of thousands of old stamps over the years - stamps that aren't valued above face - and use them on most all of their correspondence.

I haven't bought anything from them in probably five years, but did get some pretty good deals once in awhile.

By the way, I have an accumulation of old stamps myself, and have been using them for awhile as well. I can't tell you how many 13c stamps I have!!

I think they should do this all of the time!

By the way, I just bought some of the "Forever" stamps at the Post Office. They cost 41c each, come in books of 20 and can be used indefinitely, regardless of future rate increases. Heck, I still have some 37c & 39c that I haven't finished using. What doesn't make sense is the fact that the new rate increase takes effect very soon. I don't understand why the USPS is selling these for the same rate and not a little bit higher. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Chris

I don't understand why the USPS is selling these for the same rate and not a little bit higher.

Because they are hoping to get an interest free loan from people who will buy the ‘forever’ stamps now, but not use them until years later, or better still misplace them and never use them.

As a wise man once said ‘I’ll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today’ wink.gif

John

Those are some great stamps! I've gotten some old stamps from coin club correspondence and some darkside stamps from foreign eBay sellers. I might just have to start putting those in a stamp album.

If you are ever in the Merrick, New York area, you have to stop by their store. They are fun people who really know their stuff. When I cannot get to the store, I bid on items in their mail bid sale.

Most of the time they have good stuff (US coins, foreign coins, stamps, sports cards, and sometimes estate liquidations)--although I am not thrilled with their Lincoln cents for this month. But I will bid on a few items. They are wonderful to work with. You can call them with questions and they will provide you with a truthful answer--including the truth about their single line description in the catalog.

Mail bid sales existed before online auctions but I find it interesting and continue to bid with ACSB. If you've never tried a mail bid sale, you can request a catalog and go over their instructions. If you have questions, call them. Not only will they help you through the process, but the call can be entertaining--I remember mine was! I find these mail bid sales a nice alternative to online auctions.

For a bunch of New Yorkers, they are very relaxed! 27_laughing.gif

Then again... having grown up a few miles from the store, I may be biased!! 27_laughing.gif

Scott hi.gif

Those are not coins where are the coins. Did they come inside the envelope or what? confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif893blahblah.gif

No coins yet! The catalog for their May auctions came in this envelope, but I will be bidding on a couple of Morgans.

Chris

Scott, I agree with you. I've bought quite a few Morgans from them over the last 18 months, and their descriptions and grade estimates have always been accurate. Only one or two times have I found that they missed a variety. But, I never knew that you could call them for a more thorough description. Thanks for that!

Just out of curiosity, how much back of their suggested price were you accustomed to bidding? I've been setting my bids at 20% back, and I'm having a 95% success rate.

Chris

Those stamps are great. I love the Oregon stamps.

I guess my favorites are the Oregon, Lincoln-Douglas and Ft. Sumter.

Chris

Just out of curiosity, how much back of their suggested price were you accustomed to bidding? I've been setting my bids at 20% back, and I'm having a 95% success rate.

I have found it depends on the item. I put together a nice collection of Barber Dimes at 25% for most of the coins. For some of the early red Lincolns, I am finding I am not as successful even when I bid their Trends amount with two increments.

One time I was in New York and stopped by the store to see some of the coins in that month's sale. They showd me some beautiful 19-teens S Mint blazing red cents. (in my Brooklyn yente accent) They were to die for! When I came home, I logged in and I bid on all of their coins using their listed trends +10% with two increments. I only won the 1919-S. It is a beautiful coin, but I wanted more!

I am having more success buying 20th Century Barber coins averaging 15% under their listed value. I am not having a lot of success buying the few red cents, even when I go over the booked value!

Basically... your mileage may vary. shy.gif

Scott hi.gif