• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Coins Information Program - For the Mac!

Are you interested in this program?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in this program?

6 posts in this topic

All you Mac users out there -- are you interested in a program that lists every US coin series along with lots of information about it? I'm working on such a program (got the idea from the software MacTracker if any of you are familiar with that). It lists basic information like the dates the series ran, mint marks, and how many are in a set with NO varieties. It also lists design information like the designer, engraver, edge, mint mark location, diameter, weight, and composition. It then lists major types and major varieties as well as any important notes on the series.

I just started to develop the program, and I'm trying to gauge interest. I've attached an extremely limited version (it's as much as I've written) as a download here. Take a look at it and let me know if you're interested.

Especially let me know (via PM with your e-mail address) if you're willing to help fact-check the beta versions and let me bounce ideas off of you for how to implement a few things (like how in-depth to go for the State Quarters).

Also, let me know if you'd like to see other information about the series added -- it's better to figure that out now before I do too many coins and it gets to be more of a pain to add the info.

Oh, and I'm planning on offering the final version for free.

P.S. Don't worry, I'm still working on the coin inventory software that I wrote about on here a few months ago ... it's just taking much longer because it's a much more complex program.

I have all the coin information books I need, or want. When your coin inventory program is available, I want it.

I have not downloaded the program, yet, but how about an accompaning Dashboard widget that will provide some of the more common information. Then, if you click a "Get More Info" button, it calls up the program to give you everything else?

I wish I had time. I'd love to help. BTW: I have perl scripts that go to the PCGS prices list and extracts the prices from their website. It puts them into CSV files that can be imported into almost anything. I have not done much with it since I import the data into an Excel spreadsheet. PM me if you are interested in scripts. It requires perl and a Unix-like system. A friend tried it under perl32 under Windoze and it does not work. So this is for all the Mac and Linux users!

Scott hi.gif