• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with this SAE?

30 posts in this topic

This SAE in hand has very nice luster Obv & Rev.. The Obv has some slight gold toning around the entire edge of the coin. The Rev has no toning and is just luster. When I tilt this coin under my OTT lite and when I picture this, this is the toning and some kind of "Wipe" marks that show up. Can you tell me what this might be and also is this NT? You know me, not much knowledge on it. I was thinking NT because the Rev has no toning whatsoever. I wish I could have gotten the luster a little better than shown.

1990SAEObverse.jpg

1990SAEreverse.jpg

:( that looks very wiped out!!! to me that looks like a damaged coin! frown.gif

What makes you think it looks damaged Ant. I figure the wipe may be a washing that someone did. I'm pretty sure that I could dip this coin and remove that, "BUT" I would lose my toning also. The toning is actually quite nice.

ok i get your point i think i rushed my thaughts. it doesnt look like it is deep wiped so a nice dip coule help the wipe look. and i to like the slight colors on it and i know most dips would demolish that frown.gif

thanks for making me take a closer look smile.gif

a nice swift kik in the @$$ always helps smile.gif

No problem Ant. Actually the coin looks very nice in-hand. I can't seem to get the in-hand look without the camera picking up the toning instead. confused-smiley-013.gif I used to have another lite to do this with and my wife is using it for her crocheting. 27_laughing.gif

No Irvin I haven't and I need to. thanks for reminding me. I tell ya Chad, I just can't seem to get the luster of this coin in a pic. I took one of the Rev like I would my proofs. This coin actually looks good in-hand, I just can't seem to picture it worth a *spoon*.

1990SAEreverseproofstyle.jpg

Bobby did you ever get some acetone? i think that might help your ASE. Will not remove the toning. thumbsup2.gif

Hey Irvin, fingernail polish is acetone. Would this be the same thing? Also, how would I apply it without hurting the coin?

Bobby did you ever get some acetone? i think that might help your ASE. Will not remove the toning. thumbsup2.gif

Hey Irvin, fingernail polish is acetone. Would this be the same thing? Also, how would I apply it without hurting the coin?

Make sure the type you have is. There are some types that are not acetone. And I assume you mean fingernail polish REMOVER makepoint.gif

Fingernail polish remover has acetone in it but NEVER use it on your coins...

Fingernail polish remover has acetone in it but NEVER use it on your coins...

Yes it was remover I was talking about Chad. My Bad! 27_laughing.gif

So is there just a straight acetone instead of the polish remover? Also, how would I apply it to the coin?

Well I shouldn't be able to miss that Irvin. thumbsup2.gif So does anyone know how I would apply this to the coin, rinsing, etc....?

I used on this franklin proof Bobby . Used a shallow glass bowl filled with enough Acetone to cover coin sufficently and swished the coin that i grasp by the rim only. This stuff is very volatile so use extreme caution with it. Not allowing contact with skin for very long etc. thumbsup2.gif

1785667-Picture099.jpg

1785667-Picture099.jpg.9ad4b4209bbb24a2c37b863f37104d10.jpg

This stuff evaporates extremely fast Bobby almost like Butane. Fast evaporation means little or no residue wink.gif

Oh yeah what Chad said below foreheadslap.gif maybe that's why i feel funny bumpit.gif

the fumes r not as bad as koinsolve fumes :P they will nock u in the dirt and wip u around :P

How you go about an acetone bath is really up to what you are trying to remove. Acetone will remove most anything organic.

In the worst case with say a thick PVC problem a QTip may have to be used but what's under the PVC may be really ugly.

Best case I soak a coin for an hour or so and change the acetone. A while later I change it again. Keep in mind that with each bath the junk you removed from the coin is still floating in the acetone. Each fresh bath reduces the chance of leaving it on the coin.

With that said, what's under the junk may look worse than what you started with. Hairlines and rub seem to be much more visible.

In many cases it's best to just sell the coin and buy something that's right from the start. smile.gif

I wouldn't let it touch my skin at all, as it can pass through your skin into your bloodstream and is very damaging to your liver over extended use. Make sure you where rubber gloves when handling it.

Cool, thanks Irvin. think I'll pick some up tomorrow and try it out!
while you are AT blush.gif it be sure to get some distilled water....After you remove it from the acetone you need to rinse it thoroughly ...Then lightly Patt it dry and Voila...

Take pics of the process and post...You will be honered into the Dip Doctors newby wing .... thumbsup2.gif

Well I tried the acetone and it didn't seem to faze it at all. I resorted to giving it a 3 second bath. I lost my toning frown.gif and now I'm still seeing some sort of wipe to it. I'll try to take pics this evening, but I seem to have a major problem getting the luster to come out in my pics on this coin. I may have to picture it at an angle and hope it don't turn out too much like the shape of an egg. I don't think I'm gonna pawn it off on anyone because I like the coin in hand for what I paid for it. So it'll just get put in a drawer.

Well I tried the acetone and it didn't seem to faze it at all. I resorted to giving it a 3 second bath. I lost my toning frown.gif and now I'm still seeing some sort of wipe to it. I'll try to take pics this evening, but I seem to have a major problem getting the luster to come out in my pics on this coin. I may have to picture it at an angle and hope it don't turn out too much like the shape of an egg. I don't think I'm gonna pawn it off on anyone because I like the coin in hand for what I paid for it. So it'll just get put in a drawer.
Please post The pics... It could be Dye polish... thumbsup2.gif

Ok well these are the best pics I can get on this thing The acetone would not remove the wipe. I "Dipped" the coin for 3 seconds and here are my results. Pic are still not showing full luster but the best I could get.

1990SAEUncirObv2.jpg

1990SAEUncirRev.jpg

Yea Chad, I gonna keep it and put it with the rest of my UNcirs. Later down the road I will probably replace it but no biggie right now! thumbsup2.gif