• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about reverse on 2007 cent

9 posts in this topic

Please help me understand this better.

The 1857 FE cent S-16 has a cud in the wing.

What's the meaning of retained cud?

This thread just looked like a great place to ask and learn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A cud can be a raised lump of metal on a coin caused by a piece of a die having broken off. When a coin is struck by a broken die, the place where the die is broken or missing will often show up as extra metal on the surface of a coin. This extra piece of metal or "cud" can be from a piece of the die being missing or a still intact, but moved. A cud may be either a retained cud, where the faulty piece of the die is still in place, or a full cud, where the piece of the die has fallen away. Retained cuds usually have dentil detail if on the edge, while full cuds do not.


Most cuds are seen on the rims of coins, one of the easiest places for a die to break during production, but not limited to this area.


A die chip is a small fragment broken off from a die. Metal flowing into the resulting hole during striking results in a small raised lump on the surface of the coin. Nothing of real significance so to speak of, so no premuim is attained.


A more learned person in errors should come along soon enough and clairfy this even further...till then this has to do. wink.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites