• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spy Coin is an Ordinary Canadian Poppy Quarter

6 posts in this topic

The Toronto Globe and Mail is reporting that the reported "Spy Coin" was an ordinary 2004 Canadian Poppy Quarter. The Poppy Quarter was a circulating commemorative produced by the Royal Canadian Mint to commemorate the 60th Anniversary since the end of World War II. It was called the world's first minted colorized quarter with the red poppy over an image of the traditional Maple Leaf.

0507poppyquarter188.jpg

The alleged suspicious "nano-technology" was the protective coating that the RCM placed over the poppy to prevent it from rubbing off. Under fluorescent lights, the coating turns a transparent light blue and is highly reflective.

In the initial report, US Department of Defense contractors in Canada on official business found these coins in various places, including car cup holders, jacket pockets, and sitting on tables. Since they had no knowledge of the coin's existence, the colored surface and fluorescence was a "suspicious finding" and made for "interesting" reports.

I wonder if the DoD needs a numismatic researcher... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Scott hi.gif

Well, now that it has been debunked, they (the poppy quarters) would be the perfect medium for some type of spy device...

...they'd never suspect it twice.

Well, now that it has been debunked, they (the poppy quarters) would be the perfect medium for some type of spy device...

...they'd never suspect it twice.

Other, better devices are in place now - 300,000,000 GW $'s.

Notice how Washington's eyes seem to follow you as you move the coin about. wink.gif

Other, better devices are in place now - 300,000,000 GW $'s.

Notice how Washington's eyes seem to follow you as you move the coin about. wink.gif

I have a Jesus playing poker with a bunch of dogs on black velvet that does the same thing... I guess I need to sweep it for devices...