• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

20th Anniversary SAE Question

12 posts in this topic

There was a thread about the 'first strike' designation and its import. I have a similar question. What is the significance of the 2006 20th Anniversary designation for the MS silver eagle? Is it not the same coin as the 2006 silver eagle MS 70 without that 20th anniversary (I think its the NGC black label) designation? Prices seem to indicate otherwise.

p.s. I'm new to this so please pardon stupid questions!

Welcome Eastcoast! hi.gif The designation is just to show that it actually came from the commemorative set. The MS SAE is the same as the 06'W SAE that I know of. Some have been described as "Burnished" confused-smiley-013.gif I think the value difference is only based on the Commemorative 20th Annv issue Designation. I actually have an MS69 in an NGC holder and I also have the 06'W Unc. in raw form and I have a raw Annv. set and I see know difference in any of the 3 Uncirculated eagles, with the "W" mintmark of course.

The two coins are identical differing only in the designation. The non 20th anniversary MS eagles were sold seperate in their own government packaging. The 20th anniversary designated eagles are designated such because they could be verified as being sold in the three coin set. Many 2006 W MS eagles are in fact 20th anniversary eagles but failed to get the designation because the buyers of the 20th anniversary set opened their package before sending it to a grading service. This effectively prevented them from being proven to originate from the 20th anniversary set.

Jeff

Thanks for the quick response guys! My cousin's husband got me into this a few months ago and it is certainly addictive!

As a follow up question, should I, as a collector, care about whether it has the 20th anniversary designation? Will that affect the value of the set?

thanks again!

My personal opinion, Yes. I think just because it is designated as the 20th Annv Set, that it will keep a premium over the others.

Eastcoast, welcome to the neighborhood! To add to what others have said, any time you can establish a provenance for an item, it doesn't matter whether it is a coin, piece of jewelry, article of clothing, photograph or whatever, it will almost always enhance the value. For example, a 100-year old toy in its original box is almost always worth more than the toy by itself.

Chris

For example, a 100-year old toy in its original box is almost always worth more than the toy by itself.
For a more recent example, think 30 year old Star Wars action figures.

One difference is that these items are still in their original packaging. They haven't been removed and put into third-party packaging that says what kind of packaging they were originally in.

I have to agree with everyone here, the 20th Ann. label will hold up better, and zions my mother threw all of mine figures away. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Thanks for the info guys! I made the mistake of trying to build a set myself and i purchased the MS 70 without the 20th anniversary label thinking it was the same one. Now i have to go find the "real" coin. I'll chalk it up as an expensive lesson. But at least with coins, there is a market. I'm sure i will be able to sell it and not take much of a loss on it.

Tthanks again! I look forward to chatting with everybody and learning something!

p.s. Do you guys think e-bay is a good way to look for coins? Are there any other forums/sites you would suggest?

I made the mistake of trying to build a set myself and i purchased the MS 70 without the 20th anniversary label thinking it was the same one. Now i have to go find the "real" coin. I'll chalk it up as an expensive lesson.
Whether or not you made a mistake depends on the type of set you want to build. The thing is that many ASEs that came in 20th Anniversary sets do not qualify to get a 20th Anniversary insert from NGC (or PCGS). This is because if someone opens the box and looked at the coins, the TPG cannot tell if you swapped coins or not as there is no difference in the coins. It's quite possible that your MS70 without the 20th Anniversary label did come from a 20th Anniversary set. But if you want the label and to be sure it did come from a certain type of box, then yes, you need to get one with an insert that says 20th Anniversary.

It's also not like you can crack the 20th Anniversary slab, put the coin in the OGP (original government packaging) case for viewing and get the 20th Anniversary insert from NGC/PCGS again. So in sense, the 20th Anniversary insert means it came from an OGP set but most likely will never be part of one again.

Do you guys think e-bay is a good way to look for coins? Are there any other forums/sites you would suggest?
Ebay is fine for these types of coins. So are the BST forums here and ATS.