• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starting my field season this morning: Post a coin with a bird on it!

26 posts in this topic

This morning, I dragged myself out of bed at 4:30 to get ready for the first day of my first field season as a M.S. student. My project (total workers: 1, moi) is based around a 3-month series of bird surveys conducted across several urban to rural gradients of development intensity. I'm interested in how bird communities in residential developments change with differing levels of regional and local development intensity and with housing development age (what a mouthfull). The long and the short of it is I'm going to have a lot of 4:00 am mornings through the end of July.

In honor of my field season beginning, post a photo of your coins with birds on them. Don't limit yourselves to boring old eagles!

Wish me luck...

CACH_small.jpg

There you go a Polish bird for you

1784517-%24.jpg

Good luck with the ringing i used to ring in the early 90's at Sandwich bay bird Obs and other sites around the country my "best" bird i rung there was a Lesser spotted woodpecker which we caught in our CE mist nets.. saying that the glossy ibis was also a "canny" bird

hi.gif

ps whats the bird in the hand it looks "simmilar" to a coal tit but a lot longer in the tail and larger jizz 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

589a928f736a7_1784517-.jpg.e973d3b4f1e458833c2658847a9412cd.jpg

I wish I was banding, but this project's going to be mainly point counts. I'm going to try and volunteer at a banding station this summer when I'm done with my project for the season.

The bird I'm holding is a Carolina Chickadee, Poecile carolinensis, which is indeed a variety of tit (for those of you non-birders with dirty minds, a tit is a member of a particular family of birds). That bird was mist-netted in southern Mississippi, but they're very common across the southern United States. Chickadees are fantastic little birds, but since they're found all over the place, many birders only give them a passing glance.

I wish I was banding, but this project's going to be mainly point counts. I'm going to try and volunteer at a banding station this summer when I'm done with my project for the season.

The bird I'm holding is a Carolina Chickadee, Poecile carolinensis, which is indeed a variety of tit (for those of you non-birders with dirty minds, a tit is a member of a particular family of birds). That bird was mist-netted in southern Mississippi, but they're very common across the southern United States. Chickadees are fantastic little birds, but since they're found all over the place, many birders only give them a passing glance.

sorry forgot it was called banding in the us blush.gif

Ah! a chickadee thats it !

i had some great times "banding" i remember catching over 400 sand martins with mists and tape lures on one day that was amazing.. good luck with the Volunteering thumbsup2.gif

Carolina Chickadee

For some reason, this reminded me of the movie My Little Chickadee starring W.C. Fields and Mae West.

Actually, I'm surprised at the pix... round face, full beard, Georgia hat... almost looks like a younger version of ME! 893whatthe.gif We could almost be brothers!! 27_laughing.gif

Scott insane.gif

The bird I'm holding is a Carolina Chickadee, Poecile carolinensis, which is indeed a variety of tit
How does it compare in size and coloration to the Little Tom Tit (aka Dickey Bird) that committed suicide after sitting in a tree by the river, during the second act of Gilbert & Sullivan's Mikado? tongue.gif

Oh yeah - in keeping with the title of the thread, here's an Aussie Kookaburra. 05kooka1ozsilver.jpg

Thought this one would be appropriate as well since you will be getting up so early in the morning. Only problem is this Rooster speaks french

1911FranceG20FMS65R.jpg

I just went out on the river today with my family in central Florida, and we saw some cool birds. We saw a pair of sandhill cranes, and as we passed them they started calling. It was loud, and really cool. Our guide said they probably had a nest. We also saw a family of limpkins, two adults and two juveniles.

That's a neat coin there Dooly!! Where did you ever find something like that? That would make a great gift for the better half!

I would provide information on these if I knew it. Any ideas? I have several of these type, any interest out there?

mis1.jpg

mis2.jpg

Yep, that is them, thank you. I have been going through a World Coin Book from the Library that is about 4 inches thick and had about given up. Am still going to have to decipher the dates I believe.

Rey,

Yep, that is them, thank you. I have been going through a World Coin Book from the Library that is about 4 inches thick and had about given up. Am still going to have to decipher the dates I believe.

Rey,

From the left - 1972, 1973 and 1960