• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question - really..there were found at grandpa's place

11 posts in this topic

So my father in law was cleaning out his grandfather's apartment and came across 5 coins.

He's no coinee and I no nothing either. Thinking of trying to find a book that might have some indication of history and/or value but thought I'd try for a bit of insight here as well.

There are the following coins:

1903 Half Dollar with a face and stars on the front and eagle standard on the back.

1902 nickel with a head and stars on the front and a Roman 'V' and olive wreath or something like that on the back.

1913 dime with head on the front and 'one dime' in print and corn or wheat or something like that on the back.

1909 quarter dollar with head and stars on the front and eagle standard and stars on the back

1904 penny with indian(?) head on the front and 'one cent' in print on the back with a shield and corn/wheat/olive branch/whatver it is as well.

they all show various stages of wear...none are mint/shiny.

Basically FIL wants to know if there's any value here or if they're just pieces of history.

Thanks

edit: no...no pics at this time...they don't have a scanner or digital cam.

The 1903 morgan has some value - depending on condition and Mintmark. Anywhere from $20-500. The rest, maybe $15 for the other 4.

1903 Half Dollar with a face and stars on the front and eagle standard on the back.

1913 dime with head on the front and 'one dime' in print and corn or wheat or something like that on the back.

1909 quarter dollar with head and stars on the front and eagle standard and stars on the back

Look on the reverse under the Eagle's tail and see if there is a Mint mark - you'll be looking for an "S" (all 3 coins) or an "O" (the 1/2) or a "D" (the quarrter) depending on the denomination.

Make certain that the coins are not cleaned by anyone in any manner since this can, and does, negatively affect price. If you go to a local bookstore chain you can find a copy of the Red Book, which is a very basic book about coins that tells one how to roughly grade a coin and then gives an approximate value. Of course, images could help us help you, even if they are only scans. Good luck.

The 1903 coin is not a Morgan. It's a Barber half dollar.

These were the main types of coins that were minted and circulated at the turn of the century. There were larger denominations (Morgan Dollars and gold coins) that were also minted during that period, but they didn't circulate as much as the smaller denominations. Dates of production for each type are as follows:

Bronze Indian Head Cent: 1864-1909

Liberty Head Nickel: 1883-1912

Barber Dime: 1892-1916

Barber Quarter: 1892-1916

Barber Half: 1892-1915

Most of these types of coins circulated heavily for a long time. So one often sees them practically worn out. If that's what they look like, they're worth less, but they at least have some history and sentimental value. Still, even in low grades some of the mintmarked issues can be worth a little more.

Because the silver coin types are sometimes a little tough in mid-grades, the values can jump pretty quickly with better-condition pieces. So the grade is especially significant on those. It really does depend on the grade. Be sure to keep them exactly as is. Don't try to clean them up.

Oh, and the mintmark (D, O, or S, if any) will be below the wreath or near the eagles tail.

The 1903 morgan has some value - depending on condition and Mintmark. Anywhere from $20-500. The rest, maybe $15 for the other 4.

I will bet a "Morgan" Half Dollar would be worth more than that.... insane.gif

MM cool.gif

OK folks, thanks for the input.

I can only find one mint mark as the wear on them is so bad. in many cases to the point of no texture at all.

Based on the comments above, I'll let him know to keep them only for sentimental reasons.

Thanks!