• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin images for registery sets

7 posts in this topic

I would like to begin adding images to my St. Gauden set, and would like any info on max file size, best pixel size, etc. Any help, or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

John,

NGC allows 100kb for file size, and I use 600dpi to scan my coins, then reduce them to about 95% to get the coins to fit that. Take a look at my 20th Century Type Set to get a feel for what you can do with that kind of picture. I can't remember if the Saints required the reducing or not, I know that the silver dollars did.

Keith,

Thanks for the reply and scan info. I checked out your 20th Century Type Set, and the images are awesome. Great detail and clarity, and the color looks original. I always seem to have trouble with proper color representation from my scanned images. I'll try scanning at the higher resolution that you sugested.

Thanks again,

John

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

John,

My scanner can't pick up vivid color well, or darkly toned pieces without making them appear lusterless, but it does really well on the lightly toned stuff, or stuff where the color is mainly at the rims.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing some of those pics.

• Administrator

I read somewhere that if you elevate one side of the slab just slightly with the tip of a pencil, before scanning, you can pick up toning much better.

Arch

My scanner tries to make everthing blue. It also makes even lightly toned coins very dark. When I balance the color and the exposure, I still do not get the radiant colors of the coin. It loses the lighter toning. I guess that I will have to start taking digital pictures and load them into Photoshop for normalizing. tongue.gif