• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toning question.

9 posts in this topic

I was just flipping through ebay looking at coins and i ran across this one Ebay Franklin . I have a long ways to go with detecting the differences between AT & NT. But I work with metal a bit and that just looks cooked to me. I do not find that sort of toning attractive at all. Anyhow I was just hoping to get some other thoughts about that coin. (such as: do you like it? is it NT or AT? or any other thoughts)

I was just flipping through ebay looking at coins and i ran across this one Ebay Franklin . I have a long ways to go with detecting the differences between AT & NT. But I work with metal a bit and that just looks cooked to me. I do not find that sort of toning attractive at all. Anyhow I was just hoping to get some other thoughts about that coin. (such as: do you like it? is it NT or AT? or any other thoughts)

His words

Beautiful example of the Frankin Half. This coin has great toning on the obverse, with blues and greys.. It has been certified MS-63. I think it is undergraded and has full bell lines, you determine if it's worth re-submitting. It is outstanding and worth a premium bid. If you buy multiple lots shipping is reduced .

It's in an NTC piece of plastic.

Seriously and please don't take this the wrong way, Why after reading that description would you believe anything that he has to say...

A 53S in 63 FBL has GOT to be a $1000.00 dollar coin.

Im sorry I think you misunderstood the question or maybe i didnt word it right. I have no intentions of bidding on this coin, I personally dont like the coin. The question however has nothing to do with the seller or the grade given the coin. I want to know more about the toning on the obverse as I stated it looks cooked to me (but I truly no very little about AT & NT). I would like any thoughts about the Toning. (Do you like it? Do you think its AT or NT? How did it get that toning? Anything)

I think Maulelmall was giving his general impression, which does relate to the toning. I think what he was getting at was that, after that description of that coin, there's reason to be skeptical of everything about the coin from its toning means to the FBL hint. And I tend to concur. There are two possible cases here: a) the seller's clueless and sitting out there ready to be plucked (I think the melt on a FHD is about $7), or b) the seller has done this many times before and is about to pluck someone. Someone who would do that is capable of putting his coin in a potato and baking it, or what have you.

That's how I interpret it, anyway. As for the toning, bear in mind that I don't like any toning and am suspicious of it all; with that said, in the picture this looks less attractive to me than most toning one sees.

It looks to be a 51-S in a SEGS holder or am I missing something.
foreheadslap.gifYes you are missing something....I think it's the egg on my face foreheadslap.gif

It definitely does not have full bell lines, that's for sure. Is this what an AT coin looks like after it turns? I have heard how they look black and ugly, but never seen one before.

It appears to be a scan of the coin. Scanners are notorious for producing odd, flat, off-color images of toned coins. This is not to say the coin is AT or NT, but if it is a scan then there is little we can determine about the coin.

I agree with Tom that you can't tell for sure AT or NT from that image.......but it does look suspicious to me as far as the toning pattern but I would have to see it in hand to make a better judgement call. Doesn't look like toning that could enhance the value but rather it is more than likely toning that might deminish the value if it's dark and brown as it appears in the scan.