• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two Cents for your thoughts! Grade reveled, take a look!

17 posts in this topic

Hi, Everyone

I placed this 1864 Two Cents coin in new acquisitions also, here it is as a thread to guess the grade and/or any comments you wish to make are welcome also. This coin does have some mint luster, but it was certified as brown by a TPG.

I will say this coin was a bear to get the luster to show in a picture! Christo_pull_hair.gif

AAJ

18642co.jpg

18642cr.jpg

I would imagine that this 1864 Large Motto 2 cent piece would grade AU 55, the brown coloring makes it hard to be sure to say MS and with no lustre visible, I'll stick with AU. Nice coin, does the TPG mention any anomalies at the date area. Looks like a possible repunched date, although the photo makes it hard to determine. Great buy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the coin grades in the MS63BN range. I'm not certain that there is any wear on it and it looks to be quite clean, though, to my eyes, the dark spots are distracting.

I'm not good at all with these. Very nice coin. Looks to be waek in the wreath on the rev. If this is normal, amybe MS, if not, au for sure!

I'm not good at all with these. Very nice coin. Looks to be waek in the wreath on the rev. If this is normal, amybe MS, if not, au for sure!
Here's an NGC MS62BN 1865 example currently listed on Ebay, for comparison:

04ba.jpg

04ca.jpg

Frankly, Mark, I think I like the1865 in MS-62 better. The strike looks better (at least on the reverse), I see no serious hits, and the color is more even.

I can't see a 63 on the 1864. I'll guess maybe 62, but more likely 61.

I'm going with AU 55, possibly a step above depending on luster in-hand.

Nice die crack in the E in UNITED as well.

I'm in the minority on this one because I think the coin in MS. At least I'm in good company with Mark. I think the coin could have gone as high as MS64 but the gunk to the right of the shield and the black spot are a bit distracting. I don't really see any hits on the coin but the dark color and soft focus is likely hiding them. I will guess this one is in an MS63 holder.

I like the look of Maben's MS62 also. It doesn't have the black spots and is a bit more attractive to me judging from the photos only. I do see a few hits on the MS62 though.

Both dates are known to have many repunchings in the date so you need to look closely. Probably the only ones that would bring a premium are the ones that you would notice right away though.

Hi, All

Thanks you all for your comments on this coin. smile.gif

I did mention in my original thread that this coin had some mint luster but the photo scan just could not pick it up.

I have tried to obtain a photo of this coin but I just can not get it, these type coins are really difficute to photgraph, so the following is the best of many photos I have taken of this coin. At least they show some of the luster on this coin. Look for details from the scan at the start of this tread. Grade to be reveled later, care to revise your grade of this coin! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

AAJ

18642copl.jpg18642crp.jpg

Okay, I've revised. I'm settling in on MS-62. The dark color hides the spot raising the eye appeal. I'm also seeing some details in the second picture that were washed out in the first one.

Hi, MarkFeld, RGT and All

Looks like the minority, MarkFeld and RGT, agrees with the grade certified by PCGS of MS63BN, Large Motto. A couple of others came close. Thank you all for your comments. smile.gif

I was looking for a Two Cents coin like this one, brownish with a little luster. I got this coin from David Lawrence Rare Coins web site as an offer/counter offer sale 7% over Greysheet Ask. I'm thrilled to add this coin to my Dansco 7070! cloud9.gif

AAJ

18642cms63bn.jpg