• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1832 Classic Head Half Cent, DANSCO 7070 Type Set, Grade Reveled!

13 posts in this topic

Hi, Everyone

I recently started gathering smaller denomination coins for my DANSCO Type Set Album. Here is my 1832 Classic Head Half Cent. It is currently in a slab. Care to comment on the coin or practice your grading skills by picture/scan? grin.gif

AAJ

183212cbn.jpg

183212cbnr.jpg

Best part of the album to assemble! Good lookin' classic head half cent - VF20 EAC, VF35 market.

Hoot

wow...tough room... Where are you all seeing the wear? I see some in the lower hair curls and some vertigris in the devices but I'd call this AU50 details net down to 40 or 45 for market grade. VF20?? School me here???

wow...tough room... Where are you all seeing the wear? I see some in the lower hair curls and some vertigris in the devices but I'd call this AU50 details net down to 40 or 45 for market grade. VF20?? School me here???

VF-20 is the EAC (Early American Copper) grade. Those weird folk grade by a different standard. I believe that they start at 70 and work their way down for defects and wear, but I'm not sure.

Their website is www.eacs.org.

Also, James wrote an excellent article on EAC grading here, as a PDF.

Hi, Ikenefic and Everyone hi.gif

Thank you all for your grade analysis on this new addition to my DANSCO 7070! smile.gif

I will be the first to say that this area of numismatics is not my strong collecting interest. I appreciate EAC, the history, the coins but just admire them on this forum, web sites, shows, shops as well as in books. But for now just as type coins.

Thank you Ikenefic for your words: thumbsup2.gif

"wow...tough room... Where are you all seeing the wear? I see some in the lower hair curls and some vertigris in the devices but I'd call this AU50 details net down to 40 or 45 for market grade. VF20?? School me here???"

That is the way I approached this coin, just as you wrote it!

It is currently in a small green ANACS slab and is graded EF 45 grin.gif

AAJ

1832.05anacs.jpg

Al...Nice coin for a 7070 type collection. It definitely has a bit better details than mine but I think mine might have cleaner devises:

1835_HalfCent_obv-1.jpg

1835_HalfCent_rev.jpg

I graded mine EF40 details with no qualifiers. I took a leap of faith on a less than optimal eBay picture and ended up getting it for something less than $40. Based upon James' pdf for EAC grading, it might go..I don't know. 15??...20??? !!

I guess my own grading "system" is a blend of the two [technical and market] grading systems. The first thing I look at is the date and variety of the coin. If that particular date and variety is known to suffer from a weak strike, I take this into consideration from the outset in that I tend to grade the coin overall slightly higher than a variety known to have much better details from the outset. I then look at the wear on the coin, nicks, dings, overall eye appeal...etc and assess an overall technical grade. Bringing value into the equation doesn't enter my mind until this point. I then look at Heritage, Greysheet, and Numismedia FMV to get a ballpark value on the coin. The bottom line [and final word I might add] is my wallet.

The final bottom line... I like your coin very much either in a higher end Date Set or as a good represtntation of the series in a 7070...BTW...mine happens to be in my 7070 as well.

thumbsup2.gif