• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any body watching the magic show ATS

17 posts in this topic

David Copperfield can't make that much stuff disappear that fast.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
27_laughing.gif

No I missed it. What were the threads pertaining?

Coin Doctoring...Someone made an alt Id and posted an email he supposedly recieved from another coin doctor ...SOS

David Copperfield can't make that much stuff disappear that fast.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
27_laughing.gif

No I missed it. What were the threads pertaining?

Coin Doctoring...Someone made an alt Id and posted an email he supposedly recieved from another coin doctor ...SOS
Then there is this one where hrh was responding to one of Gregs posts someone is doing a bit of digging....

They pulled the carpet out as I went from page 1 to page 2.

The story was a little tabloid-like and no new information.

Yeah they aren’t really into the freedom of information act over there. Love worked coins or hate them, it’s hard to imagine that one would be better off not knowing about it confused-smiley-013.gif.

Yeah they aren’t really into the freedom of information act over there. Love worked coins or hate them, it’s hard to imagine that one would be better off not knowing about it confused-smiley-013.gif.
To PCGS,Ignorance is Bliss.. thumbsup2.gif

I read the "Letter from a coin doctor" thread early on before any controversial responses were posted. Did it really go *poof* over coin doctoring, or was it more one of the related issues mentioned? There are lots of threads on doctored coins, allegedly misgraded coins, counterfeit coins, etc. in PCGS slabs. PCGS wasn't mentioned in the original post so perhaps it was in one of the replies?

Shamika's post in the customary postmortem "Poof" thread says:

I'm a bit surprised it disappeared as I thought there were some interesting security ideas that PCGS might find useful. face-icon-small-sad.gif
If "security" was the killing point, may the controversy be about the security of slabs rather than doctoring. The controversy could also have been about toning in the slab but I think that's been discussed on the PCGS forums and left alive.

The letter was allegedly from a former TPG grader who is now a doctor selling non-monster ATed coins in the <$100 range.

The coin doctor claimed that coins in all slabs were being ATed within the slab and that all types of slabs were being opened and new coins were being substituted and then the slabs were being resealed in an undetecable manner.

The coin doctor claimed that coins in all slabs were being ATed within the slab and that all types of slabs were being opened and new coins were being substituted and then the slabs were being resealed in an undetecable manner.

I heard about this with the old rattler holders. Did they mean the old rattler holders or all holders including the new ones?

I heard about this with the old rattler holders. Did they mean the old rattler holders or all holders including the new ones?

All slabs....

All slabs....

Hum that is news to me. In all honesty though, I can say that even if it were true it wouldn’t change my buying habits. I really don’t care much what coin a slab is in (if at all), what the grade on the slab is, or if the grading company has approved the coin as problem free. In many instances coins are slabbed that I would not regard as problem free and many times coins are rejected that I would consider problem free.

It’s interesting news, but it doesn’t change much for me.

Possible solution: Destructive Holographic seals that wrap from front to back across the edge of the slab where it seals, similar to the "warranty void if removed" seals you find on some electronic equipment.

Won't help anything in the past, but perhaps it is time for NGC and PCGS to upgrade the security on slabs if this is a known problem.

Possible solution: Destructive Holographic seals that wrap from front to back across the edge of the slab where it seals, similar to the "warranty void if removed" seals you find on some electronic equipment.

Won't help anything in the past, but perhaps it is time for NGC and PCGS to upgrade the security on slabs if this is a known problem.

Holographic seals won't do that much to stop the determined. Counterfeit Microsoft software already comes complete with counterfeit certificates and holographic seals.

Even if it did work, it would only be a matter of time before they found a way around it.

If the market for the toned coins exists then somebody will fill it. No matter how creative they must be.

On a side note, I can totally understand why PCGS would nuke this thread. It basically brings into question every toned coin in their holder.