• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's not blame it all on coin doctors

11 posts in this topic

The tendancy was in prior generations to dip the hell out of coins, rub them with a nice 'soft' cloth and even give them a nice color.

And this is what we're stuck with and trying to undo.

Opinions supporting or contrary very much appreciated and welcomed

and edited to add:

pcgs celebrates dipped bust coinage

hairlines can never be gotten rid of

the appreciation of naturally acquired patina, when pleasing to the ey, is still not adequately appreciated.

The tendancy was in prior generations to dip the hell out of coins, rub them with a nice 'soft' cloth and even give them a nice color.

Are you sure they were rubbed and not patted dry?

pcgs celebrates dipped bust coinage
thumbsup2.gif

hairlines can never be gotten rid of
Can't they be covered with AT? confused-smiley-013.gif

the appreciation of naturally acquired patina, when pleasing to the ey, is still not adequately appreciated.
thumbsup2.gif

I was going to ask this question in it’s own thread but it appears it can go here:

Why do dipped coins sometimes turn straight to black and not to the natural grey/brown that some of us like so much?

As far as I'm concerned, you can't undo what's already been done. There are going to be coins that people desire and would like to have and depending on the time frame that they want to spend looking for the perfect coin is based on thier preference of the coin. If there's a coin I want, I try to avoid heavy dipped and hairlined coins but depending on how old the coin is, what's to guarantte that it hasn't been cleaned or dipped and just age started the normal process of the coin over again. I don't know if I'm making sense here, but If a coin is older than 100 yrs, I'd say there's a good chance it's condition has been helped in some sort or fashion at one point in it's life. If you're out to just slab and make money, then wait for the perfect coin. If you're out to just collect, then collect at your preference of tollerance. confused-smiley-013.gif

As far as I'm concerned, you can't undo what's already been done. There are going to be coins that people desire and would like to have and depending on the time frame that they want to spend looking for the perfect coin is based on thier preference of the coin. If there's a coin I want, I try to avoid heavy dipped and hairlined coins but depending on how old the coin is, what's to guarantte that it hasn't been cleaned or dipped and just age started the normal process of the coin over again. I don't know if I'm making sense here, but If a coin is older than 100 yrs, I'd say there's a good chance it's condition has been helped in some sort or fashion at one point in it's life. If you're out to just slab and make money, then wait for the perfect coin. If you're out to just collect, then collect at your preference of tollerance. confused-smiley-013.gif

I would just note one caveat, which is that even if you are just out to collect coins, over time your eyes will begin to pick up small imperfections, which may not have bothered you when you began your collection. Just something to consider…

I would just note one caveat, which is that even if you are just out to collect coins, over time your eyes will begin to pick up small imperfections, which may not have bothered you when you began your collection. Just something to consider…

Very true winston. But, would you then sell that coin and look for something better because your ability to recognize these imperfections has improved? Or would you still keep the coin? depending on it's age, what would be the chances of getting one in a more natural state?

For myself, I am constantly reviewing the coins that I own – selling those that no longer meet my standards. In my experience, most collectors do this. Unfortunately, when one first starts out they tend to lose some money in these transactions. It’s just a learning experience.

depending on it's age, what would be the chances of getting one in a more natural state?

This is the crux of the issue and an important question thumbsup2.gif. An original Kennedy half would be easy to find and demand no premium but a heavily patinated bust half (particularly early bust halves) are significantly harder to find and do demand a premium.

Many of THE most beautiful coins acquired their toning as a result of recovering from a cleaning. That's the closest thing to a silver lining regarding this issue.

Yes agreed James. It does seem that many dipped coins recover and tone nicely when placed in an album. I should have been more specific. I was thinking more of the coins that “turn” in their holders.

I would just note one caveat, which is that even if you are just out to collect coins, over time your eyes will begin to pick up small imperfections, which may not have bothered you when you began your collection. also as you advance more in knowledge you will tend/graviate more towards quality much more greater eye appealling original skinned coins. Just something to consider… 893applaud-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gifcloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

Keep in mind also that mintages are much higher today than in yesteryear. A slabber can buy a bag or two of Kennedy's and search through them for the best, and have looked at more coins than an entire mintage for a lot of early coins. So, there are alot less of the classic coins togo around in the first place.