• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cow Standing on Dolphin

21 posts in this topic

I have no idea whatsoever what this symbolizes. All I know is that I had to own it based just on the absurdness sound of "cow standing on a dolphin".

cow-dolphin.jpg

From the recent Ponterio sale at the Chicago International Coin Fair. Described as: Byzantion. AR Drachm (5.37gms), circa 340-320 BC. BMC-3.93,2; S-1579. Cow standing left on dolphin; Reverse: Mill sail incuse square. EXTREMELY FINE. [200.-300.]

I bid very strong on it and was very happy to win it well below my max.

PS: Special thanks to the board member - who never posts here - for looking at the coin and placing the bid for me.

Cool coin, Greg!

If it is a cow, not a bull over a dolphin it most likely represents the strength of the nation on land and over the sea. If it is a cow and dolphin then it might represent the produce of land and sea. Another possibility, with the sail on the other side, could be extolling of trading goods from the land over sea or finally demonstrating the strong naval might of this country for its day. The following link sheds light on dolphins in antiquity: Dolphins in Antiquity

• Administrator

It could also be an advertisement for a surf and turf restaurant...

I'm not sure why I felt compelled to post that.

Carry on.

It looks more like a horse than a cow to me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's obviously a cow -- here's a better pic from a slightly different angle:

cow_dolphin_pict.jpg

poke2.gif

Hi there gmarguli

from what i can remember the dolphin was the old form of money and the animal represented the Place/area that the coin was minted..

hear is one you should like its a

Asia minor

Paphlagonia, sinope, Satrap Datames c.362 BC, Drachm 5.93g, head of nymph Sinope to left wearing bucranium pendant earring, within beaded border, rev sea-eagle on back of dolphin

1777173-b.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

1777173-b.jpg.7deaca96b0d49d98da3e5d2a21d73b55.jpg

It could also be an advertisement for a surf and turf restaurant...

I'm not sure why I felt compelled to post that.

Carry on.

popcorn.gifsign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

It looks more like a horse than a cow to me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's obviously a cow -- here's a better pic from a slightly different angle:

cow_dolphin_pict.jpg

poke2.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

If thats a cow where's it's Udders.. it's a bullock.. can you tell i am from farming stock !!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

If thats a cow where's it's Udders.. it's a bullock.. can you tell i am from farming stock !!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Cold Water Shrinkage...

george_costanza.jpg