• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Submission of a toned unc 0.500 silver coin

2 posts in this topic

Hi, I've recently won this coin.

GREECE_10D_1930_FINAL.jpg

NGC is very hard on these and I've seen several unfair 58s so far. One of the reasons is that even when all the detail is there,and the strike is decent, such as in this case, the toning that this 0.500 silver coin developped, while not unattractive, is impeeding its luster. So I thought about submitting it to NCS first, because it is clearly a choice unc coin in my opinion and I'd hate to see it coming back in a 58 holder. Was this a good decision? Will NCS restore its mint luster before the coin goes to NGC so that it does not receive an unfair grade?

Please note that several people suggested a quick dip instead, but I've ruled against it.

It wouldn't so much that professional conservation may restore luster but that through our efforts removing residues or toning, hiding luster is revealed. It may be worth your effort to submit this piece for conservation. I would not be able to determine for certain whether the conservation will net you the results that you are seeking. The coin would need to be seen in person to determine that. I would suggest you include a note about what you are looking for with this piece when you submit the coin.

Chris, NCS