• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what ya'll think? Post your PO1 coins (ok AG-3's too)

29 posts in this topic

I posted my Columbian AG03 so many times I figured I better stop. I would like to collect an entire set starting at PO1 going to MS?. I think that would be rather interesting. Just to many other coins I am currently after to get serious about it but maybe one day.

Actually this is the proper meaning.

Sheldon Scale for Grading U.S. Coins

Poor-1 or P-1 (Poor) - The type is barely discernable, but little else, due to the coin being badly damaged or worn smooth.

Fair-2 or FR-2 (Fair) - Type and date are barely discernable, but otherwise the coin is damaged or extremely worn.

AG-3 (About Good) - Type and date are discernable, although some spots may be worn out. Some lettering should be apparent, if not necessarily readable.

G-4 (Good) - Major devices and features are evident as outlines. although the coin overall is heavily worn.

And so on ------

ty that helps alot so poor would be bb coins :P

Not necessarily. Poor coins can be damaged, but they can also be heavily worn. In order for a PO01 coin to slab, the date (or some other identifier) must be at least partially visible. In the case of my dime, only the last 2 digits are visible in the date, and part of the Eagle's shield on the reverse.

ty that helps alot so poor would be bb coins :P

PO-1 would not BB. This is an actual grade. BB coins are damaged, cleaned, etc.. A PO coin is still original, just not in very good condition.

I posted this before - The Extrmely RARE 1916-d Mercury Dime which I broke out of a ANACS FR2 holder for my dansco

1758983-1916d.jpg

so would this be a xf coin?

1877obv.jpg

1877rev.jpg

No, that coin is “very good", based on the wear and that you can only partially see liberty on the shield, for this coin to make a "fine" grade all of liberty would need to be visible.

Nice coin with lots of even wear but no problems like being bent or deeply nicked, when I first stared assembling type set I would have loved to have your half. thumbsup2.gif

ty very much i didnt know how to look at these coins smile.gif

Any time Ant. thumbsup2.gif

I would suggest buying this book; “Official ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins” to help you with grading. I’ve used this book for years and think it one of the must own books if you collect U.S. coins. sumo.gif

Link to the “Official ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins”

O.k., now back to the original topic; this is about the most worn coin that I own:

1798-cent.jpg

This coin was my first purchase at a coin store, it was 1971 and the store was Bob’s Coins in West Allis, WI. The store was open in the evening and Bob didn’t mind young collectors hanging around, so I spent many of my evenings up there watching, listening, and learning from Bob and the collectors that would come through the store, I used to have a blast up there. insane.gif

As to the cent, I remember wanting something from the 18th century and at around $9 this coin fit my budget of paper route earnings. To this day it’s the oldest and only coin from the 1700’s that I’ve every purchased. As flat as it is this coin still means a lot to me and will always hold a special place in my collection. cloud9.gif

Nice 11 Irvin, 98' Paul, and yea Ant even tho' yours is in pretty good shape, good too! 27_laughing.gif

in this condition it is still a good? is that what u r saying :P

Nice 11 Irvin, 98' Paul, and yea Ant even tho' yours is in pretty good shape, good too! 27_laughing.gif

in this condition it is still a good? is that what u r saying :P

It'll work Ant!! thumbsup2.gif