• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well, I bit the bullet....

10 posts in this topic

I'm going to be setting up a table at the upcoming [L=N.H. Coin Expo]http://www.nhcoinexpo.com/[/L] in Bedford N.H.

I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while, and figured now was as good a time as any to jump into the fray.

I haven't listed any coins for sale on Ebay in the past few weeks (stocking up wink.gif) and have been tagging (don't you hate those little stickers!) my inventory in preparation for retail sale.

I think I have everything covered (of course I won't, and will have forgotten something) and am really going to go and try to mingle a bit more than I usually do, and have a bit of fun. Sounds good in theory, and I KNOW it won't run that smoothly, but I 'll take the good with the bad.

If anyone has any helpful hints, fire away, I'm all ears. smile.gif

A couple of things:

Price stickers on the front of the coin, to give browsers an idea of potential value.

No "Toned", or "Rainbow" stickers, as I figure the toned stuff should speak for itself wink.gif

I wish I had more early type than I do at the moment, but then again, everyone else probably does also.

I'm good with the general public (not blowing my own horn here, but I am) and have done retail sales many moons ago.

If I can think of anything else, I'll toss it in here a bit later on

Darin,

Good luck with the setup. A few comments:

1. Don't allow yourself to get too busy when you are showing coins. You don't want any coins walking away from you.

2. I don't think prices on the front is necessary, or even a good idea. A serious potential customer will not be afraid to ask for the price, at which time you can quote him the price. At any time during a show, the price on an item can move on you. For example, gold bullion can move or mint sets can jump. You want to be flexible with the dynamic market.

3. Have your cost written on the reverse in code, and have all other pricing data handy.

4. When you give a customer a quote, be sure to remember that quote.

5. When you agree to put a coin on hold for a customer, be sure to tell the customer when you'll take the coin off hold.

6. As this is your first time, don't be afraid to get references from other dealers before accepting a check from an first-time customer. Or else, take the check and then send the coin to him (you pay the postage?).

7. Remember that it's not dealers vs collectors. It's every man for himself.

EVP

I wouldn't worry about prices on the front of the slabs either. You know what you want for the coins and most people will ask anyway. As for mingling, don't expect to do any unless you have someone with you to watch your table or the person next to you is willing to watch it for a little while. Good luck and I think I will see you there.

Darin - You've worked hard for this! Congratulations! I truly hope things go well for you. You've always offered great stuff on eBay and have garnered a well-deserved excellent reputation, so I hope this new endeavor goes really well.

I think the prices on the front are meaningless to the serious collector, but they can be a handy reference to a novice buyer, or someone unfamiliar with you, or with a timid individual. That said, I think the advice that EVP and TomB have handed out is the best.

Take care, and let us know how it goes!

Hoot

Thank you everyone.

Tom, I look forward to meeting you, if you can make the trip up.

The price stickers on the front of the slab are geared more towards the browser for an idea on value for a particular item. The serious buyers usually don't care either way.

I know most of the faces of the "regulars" at the shows in this area, but the check "thing" is the one I'm debating. I'll probably lean towards a dealer reference before accepting a check, but won't be opposed to taking a check, and sending an item once the check clears, on my dime, but that may be awfully tough to negotiate on a $100 item. We'll see.

Thanks Again! smile.gif

The price stickers on the front of the slab are geared more towards the browser for an idea on value for a particular item. The serious buyers usually don't care either way.

This may seem cold to may who read this, but your setting up is a business venture. It costs you money to setup, and you darn well better want maximum return.

As such, you need to be focused on attracting and minding the serious customers. Do not be rude to anyone, but do not ever forget that you are catering to the paying customers.

In the vast majority of cases, the browser will only soak up your time and not contribute to your bottom line. Remember that stickers take time and money too.

One more thing that I should have mentioned earlier: arrangement of your display is important. Make your display orderly, eye-catching, roomy, etc. -- whatever you think will work best for what you have.

EVP

One more thing that I should have mentioned earlier: arrangement of your display is important. Make your display orderly, eye-catching, roomy, etc. -- whatever you think will work best for what you have.

This is a good point because I always get annoyed when coins are flung all over the case. A nice progression from 1C to $20 is nice...it just makes it easier. Also, if you can help it, try not to put coins at the extreme side or top of the case. As a buyer, I like to be able to see the coin with the lamp and judge whether I want to bother the dealer to take it out of his case. If I can't see the coin then often I'm forced to ask. And most of the time I hand it right back because I didn't like it. Then dealer gets annoyed. To avoid all of this keep the coins away from the edges so the light can hit it.

Another thing, try to keep other dealers or customer from throwing all there Grey Sheets and [!@#%^&^] all over the table. It is just annoying trying to move [!@#%^&^] (or asking to) so you can see what's in the case.

Sorry for the person_without_enough_empathying but I just thought I'd air-out some long term annoyances I've had....lol

jom

Points taken everyone.

The case will be neat. I won't get annoyed if someone looks at a coin real quick and hands it right back. If the coin doesn't have the look someone desires, so be it. I'd rather let them have a peak, and pass, than walk away with zero interaction.

I'll see what I can do concerning those sheets Jom. No guarantees though!

Good luck Darin,

I've purchased a coin or 2 from you on Ebay and am totally satisfied with your service and the coins. I've been in the restaurant management business for about 17years. Customer satisfaction HAS TO BE priority #1. Do not offer something and not deliver and do not underestimate the power of word of mouth. Repeat customers not only purchase more from you, but they also bypass the bull#$@@ because they already trust you. Building a solid reputation can be a long road, but also a road that is eternily solid. Again, best of luck.