• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So who would be willing to help by phone?

11 posts in this topic

There are times when I'm out and about and see a coin but I have no clue as to what a value might be in certain grades. Have any of you run into this problem? I know for me, it would help very much if I had a fellow collector that I could call. I know not everyone would be in the position to help, but if you were, would you let a forum member have your number to call on????

I know I would!! thumbsup2.gif As far as I'm concerned, if I'm by a PC and you call for help, I'll be glad to look something up for you!

Ok, then I will add that if anyone needs help sometime, just PM me and I will give my # to them. I'm not really to worried about abuse as there is enough technology available to find out who is who!

You should delete your phone number since this is a public forum and not everyone who reads it will wish you the best.

How about a book?

Do you carry a redbook everywhere you go Chad? I don't. I do carry my phone with me everywhere I go.

Well, if I was going to a coin show, and I didn't know prices on things that I might purchase, I'd at least get a greysheet or some other price guide.

You are right for a coin show Chad, I took my redbook to the coin show, but I was merely concentrating on the fact that your just out running around, ya pass by an old flea market, sale barn, or even a pawn shop here and there and ya don't have any type of guide material with you. Most people know the value of coins they collect, but how much do they know about coins they don't collect and it's you find a coin that interests you. I think it would be nice to be able to call someone and ask. When I went to the Ft. worth coin show, I bought that 1880S pl morgan, but it wasn't in the redbook. The redbook didn't list pl or dmpl. My wife was at home and I called her to look up the value for me on PCGS. That was the only reason I bought it because it was well worth the asking price. I paid too much for an old 1821 half becuase she was doing her garden and I didn't want to bother her again. You see my point here? Just someone to call that may be able to help!

27_laughing.gif I feel like a right Plum if i get a book out at a show in the UK 27_laughing.gif

so i sneek to the bogs and have a quick flick if i have seen some thing 27_laughing.gif

now i come to think about it Which is worse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif I feel like a right Plum if i get a book out at a show in the UK 27_laughing.gif

so i sneek to the bogs and have a quick flick if i have seen some thing 27_laughing.gif

now i come to think about it Which is worse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 27_laughing.gif

I felt the same way dooly when I went to my first coin book a couple months ago. Felt wierd looking at someone's coin, looking at thier price, and then digging thru my book. I got over it when I was pricing something over $50. To me that's alot of money for something I know nothing about.

A suggestion is to take the book with you. If you see something that interests you find a place and research it in the book. Of course if you fear the coin might sell to the next person waiting to check the case you may not have this time. It really isn't that hard.

If you're going to a flea market, pawn shop, etc. buy what you feel comfortable, then if you see something you're not sure about, go home, do research, and return.