• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flea Market purchase! What ya think?

65 posts in this topic

To me, I'm know expert, but it looks like a green film of sorts. I would'nt think it matters much It's still a toning process, Is it not.

confused-smiley-013.gifI don't know. If it's PVC I think it will eventually devour the coin with this film and it will damage it.

Time for some experimentation, Hmmm? show me some pics when your done, I've never actually seen a dipped coin, at least one I knew was dipped.

"Anticipation." juggle.gif

I'm gonna wait a few here and see what anyone else thinks. I'm leaning towards PVC now but still not sure.

Does not look like PVC to me. Looks like toning. If it was PVC it would be on the high spots not the low. If it was on the low it would also be on the high spots.

I do not think it is PVC. It just doesn't look like it, doesn't have the right feel. I will also add that for $5, I think the Franklin is a good deal. Melt is almost that, so you didn't do bad at all.

BTW, this is suppose to be a proof and it is very shiny and original as you can tell. Would this grade enough to be PR60? or would it fall more into AU grade?

If I have anything you would like to see, let me and I can bring it with me.

Dang Bruce, I was just picking out your 1891 IHC, your 1913 MS64 buff, and the the site quite letting me look. man I was on a roll! 27_laughing.gif

Bobby if you can think of any coins I have posted over time you would like to see let me know. I should have my Washington Set on hand, plus anything else you would like to see.

I do wanna see your washingtons. This was one of our first topics when I joined the boards. I would like to see the 2 coins I mentioned above if you still have them and can bring them. I search around here and ther trying to find just one IHC that looks as good as that 1891 you have. that's a nice one!

There is no way that Large Cent is a PO-1. I'd call it an AG-3 details, net FR-2. I think $35 is a bit steep. I might would go $12 for a pocket piece.

The point has been made earlier, but I'd like to strengthen it for the benefit of new collectors. One day all of our collections are going to be liquidated, disbursed and sold--either by us or by our heirs or devisees. We need to always be asking ourselves, "Is this going to bring anything close to what I'm paying? Is the pleasure of having it for a while worth the difference?" This has led me to be much pickier about what I buy, and I think that my selectivity has improved my collection.

BTW, the TNA show is coming up the third weekend in May, Bobby. Be sure to plan for it. This is the "big show" in our area.

And for goodness sake bring some sort of a price guide with you, and don't be afraid to look things up. Every dealer there will have a greysheet or something, and most of them look stuff up while your standing there at their tables. I bring my homemade sheets with me, and I'm not embarrassed about it at all.

I'm planning on meeting Bruce there on that saturday. Maybe we'll meet also. As for the cent, if I ever found one for $12, I would buy a hand full of them. I've never seen one that cheap by far. Even at AG3 it's worth $34. I hear your reasoning but I'm building a collection for me. If it gets sold down the line after I'm gone then more power to'em in getting what they can for it. My kids are grown and all moved away. This is my hobby and I build it for my enjoyment. I don't want to spend what I enjoy doing on worrying if I'm gonna please someone else's taste. I'm not in it for monetary investment. I'm in it to see the coins of the U.S. and own as many as I can no matter what condition, grade, or value. yea it's nice to find a coin that is MS, but I'd rather buy as many, than spend a year saving to buy one. My hobby has to be active, and collecting coins for me is active if I am able to purchase coins, not just one a year to be able to purchase mint condition coins.

Then you have the right attitude, and perhaps my $12 estimate was a bit harsh. My apologies. I'll raise it to $20. [construct gives an evil grin.]

I would love to meet you and Bruce at TNA. When it gets closer, perhaps we can make more definite arrangements. Perhaps there are others that are planning to be there who might like to join us. We could do lunch.

Then you have the right attitude, and perhaps my $12 estimate was a bit harsh. My apologies. I'll raise it to $20. [construct gives an evil grin.]

I would love to meet you and Bruce at TNA. When it gets closer, perhaps we can make more definite arrangements. Perhaps there are others that are planning to be there who might like to join us. We could do lunch.

No problem. As I have always stated, everyone has there own opinion and if no one likes them, don't post. I take critism just as good as compliments. Hope to meet you at TNA. thumbsup2.gif

Would be nice to meet up at the TNA. I always love to see what others collect. Lunch sounds good. Or we can pick a time to meet. Let me know.

I think you did quite well. The cent looks like an S-268, which is an R.3 variety and a nice find. The crud on the reverse could readily be removed, and it looks like a nice AG3 A coin to me (or at least has that potential). The franklin was just a little silver bonus, smile.gif

Hoot

I think you did quite well. The cent looks like an S-268, which is an R.3 variety and a nice find. The crud on the reverse could readily be removed, and it looks like a nice AG3 A coin to me (or at least has that potential). The franklin was just a little silver bonus, smile.gif

Hoot

So it looks like he did much better than even he thought. Apparently none of us had attributed it. What a windfall! Bravo!

Hoot

thanks Hoot, what does all the S-268 na dR.3 variety mean? Also Chad thanks, I will try to find this acetone and maybe look into checking it out. can ya get this stuff at wal-mart or is there a certain place to buy? Thanks all, and thanks again Hoot.

Hoot

thanks Hoot, what does all the S-268 na dR.3 variety mean? Also Chad thanks, I will try to find this acetone and maybe look into checking it out. can ya get this stuff at wal-mart or is there a certain place to buy? Thanks all, and thanks again Hoot.

S-268 would be the Sheldon number or die marrige. R3 = the Rarity scale. R1 being the most common R10 Being the hardest to find.

I've seen a few PO1's that have sold for MS or better money on eBay. If that turns out to be one, $35 would be a bargain.

I like it. I have the perfect idea. I will crack out my AG 3 1893 COLUMBIAN and you can sell me your coin and I will put them both in my pocket for the next couple of years and then send them back in for certification. 893applaud-thumb.gif