• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you seen this one before ?

6 posts in this topic

hi all

just opened my 2nd 1971 proof set they seem so much better than the 1st one

but i have notest that the Washington Quarter dollar S mint marks are in diffrent places ! One close to ribbon and one a lot further away has this been noted before or is this just normal for this date of coin

Thanks dooly hi.gif

Far Mint mark

1770946-1971d.jpg

Close Mint mark

1770946-1971d1.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1770946-1971d1.jpg.d37d5534cac399e50c59da69a448cfbb.jpg

Dooley,

Someone with more knowledge will need to explain the reason, but after looking at just one of mine, the S is in an even different position than both of those you have shown.

Rey

IMG_2185.jpg

Dooly, can't help you in regards to your mintmark, but is that a scratch on the holdre or a die break on the first quarter at 4:00? Just curious.

The mintmarks were punched by hand at the time, so every die is going to have it located in a different position to some degree.

As Spiny says, the mintmarks back then were all punched into the individual dies by hand. Evan for the proof dies. So they tend to wander around from one die to the next. In 1985 the S mintmark was added to the original large model from which the reduced Master Hub was made. So from that point on the mintmark might move slightly from year to year, but it will be in the same place for all of the coins of a given year. This worked so well that it was eventually extend to the models used to create the Master Hubs for the working dies as well. By 1990 all of the Master Hubs had the mintmarks on them and that was the end of the repunched mintmark, they do not exist after 1990.