• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC MS62 liberty $10 piece -- Is this a copper spot?

3 posts in this topic

I didn't notice this rather large reddish spot on the coin before. It has another one near the 4 in 1894, but much smaller and much more faint. I took the picture of it with my digital blue QX5 computer microscope, so the image looks more silver than gold. I took the copper spot image at 60X magnification.

First, here's the picture of the overall coin. The copperspot is in the lower right hand corner. I've heard that a coin with a copper spot is a good sign its geniune, is this true? Not that it matters anyway, since it's in a NGC holder.

LibertyObverse.jpg

Then here's the picture of the spot:

copperspot.jpg

Thanks much!

grin.gif

Looks like a copper spot to me. Many Coronet $5 $ $10 gold pieces have copper spots, probably because they could not alloy well prior to this date. It may have been due to lack of electrical, temperature controlled furnaces.

Looks like a copper spot to me. Many Coronet $5 $ $10 gold pieces have copper spots, probably because they could not alloy well prior to this date. It may have been due to lack of electrical, temperature controlled furnaces. TRUE WORDS WELL SAID 893applaud-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

a nice beautiful original coin........

no need to worry, it is just an original nice ms62 choice unc ten dollar liberty cloud9.gif