• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dipping 40% silver Ike?

18 posts in this topic

I just got a 1971-S 40% silver Ike in the mail and it's hazed as all heck. It was in a blue token mint pack, which I've just liberated it from. Do 40% silver coins like this one dip well? I'd like to try and get some of that nasty haze off of the coin, but I've never done any dipping before. I figure that a $6 coin is a good place to learn. Any tips, products, etc? Thanks!

BTW, is the blue token that came with the Ike collectable? I don't especially want it.

No, I don't think I can handle that kind of quality. 27_laughing.gif Yeah, that'd be great if mine would come out looking that nice (although this is an MS coin). What's the product of choice?

EDIT: we posted at the same time. This coin is hazed really badly. I think in this case, I want to dip it and then store it properly this time around. Those old mint cellophane packs trash coins.

I would think an MS coin would have quite a bit of different outcome than this proof kennedy had. The polished finish is much more durable than normal luster. I would think trying to dip off the haze may jeopardize the luster. As you said also, it can be replaced for another $6.

No proof sets were made in 1967.

My bad! foreheadslap.gif Let me re-state my statement. I think that Cam and Dcam would have a more durable finish than plain MS luster!

I would think an MS coin would have quite a bit of different outcome than this proof kennedy had. The polished finish is much more durable than normal luster. I would think trying to dip off the haze may jeopardize the luster. As you said also, it can be replaced for another $6.

Well, then it should be perfect for an experiment wink.gif

I smell the bunson burner and test tubes warming up already 27_laughing.gif

e-z-est is awsome to use! i have been practicing with many different types of dips and i like e-z-est best. make sure to use gloves and such it has a warning of cancer on container smile.gif

one thing i have noticed tho is it doesnt like copper much! turns odd shades of collor on pennies :P

I smell the bunson burner and test tubes warming up already 27_laughing.gif

Let me clarify for the record: I don't approve of doctoring coins or (generally) of dipping them either. This particular coin has a ton of haze and crud from being in that government mylar packaging for 30+ years and it needs to come off. Beyond that, I don't plan on doing any dipping, but it will be nice to know how for any future conservation that needs to be done. I know you weren't really serious about suggesting I wanted to learn to doctor coins, but I thought I'd make my position clear. wink.gif

I know you weren't really serious about suggesting I wanted to learn to doctor coins, but I thought I'd make my position clear. wink.gif
Aww, I was hoping to see some monster toner Britannias wink.gif

Naw just giving ya a smile. I don't have any problems with a small dip to remove something from a coin that will eventually take it over and permanently damage it anyway. No sarcasm intended Micheal! thumbsup2.gif

I posted ATS to let you know that the outer shell of these 40% silver halves is actually 80% silver and that they should tolerate dip well.

I saw that, Tom, thanks.

One more question - I was looking into picking up a jar of eZest, but I noticed it said something about having an additive that makes the bright white coins last that way longer - what's that all about?