• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eliasberg 1913 Liberty Head Nickel Sold for $5 Million

11 posts in this topic

why o why cant i evar find a nice million dollar coin frown.gif

and why o why is the govenment selling a coin so called illegal to own the record sale. buy law they should not have been able to sell. and in same note since they sold 1 the 10 that they stole from that lady should be givin back!

if illegal to own what gives the govenment the right to sell? and pick and choose who is able to own.

thaughts any1?

in same note since they sold 1 the 10 that they stole from that lady should be givin back!
You are incorrect. The 1933 double eagle that was mentioned is not from the ten that the US government claims Joan Langbord received illicitly.

why o why cant i evar find a nice million dollar coin frown.gif

and why o why is the govenment selling a coin so called illegal to own the record sale. buy law they should not have been able to sell. and in same note since they sold 1 the 10 that they stole from that lady should be givin back!

if illegal to own what gives the govenment the right to sell? and pick and choose who is able to own.

thaughts any1?

Ant, the government didn't sell the coin - the owners did. And there has never been any indication that 1913 Liberty Nickels are illegal to own. Finally, none were stolen from a lady. It sounds as if you might be thinking of the 1933 Saints that the Swift family is fighting for legal ownership of.

Congratulations to the sellers and the new owner of THE 1913 Nickel!

ok. i confused ppl. i was to believe

#1. that 1933 saints were illegal to own

#2. the record sale on coin was when the government sold a 1933 saint 7.5 mill

#3. and being that i think 1 and 2 r correct i was asking why if it is illegal to own a 1933 1 was even sold by the govenment. and why would theswifts have to fight for theres back.

i didnt even know it was illegal till a post came up about the 04' "ignorence" of the swifts that they sent to the mint to get verified:P

i know the 10 r still in verdict! gossip.gif

im just trying to figure out why a illegal coin was even sold if no 1 can own it!

thank you for your help and sorry for th confusing wording.

ant=anthony=smokyant2000

The confusion from your post likely arose because the post was about the 1913 Liberty nickel yet you wrote about the 1933 double eagle.

The US government gave special permission for the sale of the King Farouk 1933 double eagle and pocketed half of the proceeds in the process. They have not given permission for any other 1933 double eagles and claim that they were never generally legal to own. Read more about it on Wikipedia.

Interestingly enough in the 2002 sale of the Farouk coin, the US Treasury was paid half of the sale price plus and additional $20 to monetize the coin.

The confusion from your post likely arose because the post was about the 1913 Liberty nickel yet you wrote about the 1933 double eagle.

sorry bout that! i just saw at the bottom about the record sale and wanted to know why an illegal coin was the record sale smile.gif

im tired of the gov doing illegal things and we get busted for jay walking :P

i will end this rant now! and thanks for the link smile.gifgossip.gif

It wouldn't have sold for that if it were in an an NGC slab. Everyone knows that PCGS coins sell for more.

Yeah, but NGC would have went 67 on the coin. grin.gif

jom