• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof type-set - opinions sought

2 posts in this topic

I'm interested in putting together a turn-of-the-century type set of proof coins. They coins don't actually have to be dated 1900, but I'd like the three Barber coins, the Liberty nickel and an Indian head cent in the set.

What's the sweet-spot for grades/eye-appeal? What do you think such a set would cost? The coins will end up in an album, so certification is not an absolute necessity.

I have put together such a set. You can check the coins out in my NGC registry type set.

All of the coins are original so far as I know and have not been dipped. I really like the "brown" Indian cent I have in NGC PR 65-Brown. All of the Proof luster is there under the natural toning. I did pay a lot more for this piece than the PR Brown price however.

The weakest of my three Barber coins is the quarter in PCGS PR-63. The coin has fully original with very few hairlines from being stored on velvet, but it has a lint mark that is of mint origins. Lint marks were the result of a piece of lint or dust on the die when the coin was struck. That one I might up grade.

The highest grade piece in this set is my 1883 with cents nickel. It is an NGC PR-66, Cam. I really don't like a lot of the PR-65 Liberty Nickels that I have seen, and I've seen only a handfull of PR-64 graded coins that I like. This piece cost me just south of $1,000.

Overall I'd say that you looking at about $4,000 to get the cent through half dollar set. If you want the Morgan Dollar, it will probably be another $3,000. You can buy cleaned coins for a lot less. And you can find dipped bright white coins if that is your thing.