• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peace Dollars/Black Out

4 posts in this topic

I sold most of my Peace Dollar Collection... it was a sad day but I wanted to get one step ahead of the game. I put it on ebay and I made as much as I spent on the 1928 Peace alone... *sigh*

But let me tell you about Thursday....

At about 4:15PM, the lights dimmed at work...dimmed again and then went out. Someone said the whole Island was out, so I called my wife and her phone lines were out. I called the house and the Answering Machine didn't pick up. I heard reports that NJ was out, CT was out, NYC was out, Toronto was out... What the heck?

So I have to pick up my son at Day Care... I left at 4:30pm to avoid most of the rush hour traffic. I got about two blocks when traffic stopped dead. It took me an hour to go 3 blocks... I finally hit a stretch where traffic was moving when I was detoured as I got within two miles of my house... I've been on the road for almost an hour and a half and it was clear sailing... Suddenly my car started to squeal like a pig. I tried to keep driving and the radiator light went on within 1 mile of my house. Squealing like a pig, lights flashing, I pulled over and my car finally gave in and radiator fluid was all over the place. I HAVE TO PICK UP MY SON. So I literally ran 1 mile down to the day care place. It was dark and empty, my wife probably picked him up. I'm sweating head to toe from running. I go to the gas station to have them tow my car "8 AM" the mechanic says, I walk the mile home and I was exhausted, no fans, no air conditioning.

I look for a radio that doesn't take 10 batteries and about an hour later I emerge from the basement with an old "Model-T Ford" transistor radio and got up to date on the situation. My wife, son and I toughed it out but it was amazing how unprepared we were. You never really expect something like this to happen. Although we were fine, the nursing home down the road had two ambulences in front of it most of the night, one of my elderly neighbors ran out of oxygen and had to be taken to the hospital... especially with the heat. Another neighbor came by the house to see how we were doing... when we should have checked with them to see how they were doing!

Our lights came back around 7am Friday morning but most of the area was still out at 5pm yesterday. Hopefully the utilities, Government and it's citizens will realize how unprepared everyone is. If this was a terrorist attack it probably would have been 100% more ugly.

-Dave

Damn good point.....about us being prepared. I'm not one of those that believes we need shelters and the sort, but a few batteries and a few gallons of water, along with a bit of emergency food probably would'nt hurt. And a contingincy plan just in case. Sorry to see you give up your coins. More importantly I'm happy that you and yours are alright. Happy collecting!

I'm also sorry to see you giving up on your coins for the time being dakra, but sometimes life necessitates such moves. Hopefully, you'll have another chance. Glad to know you and yours are alright. I have a sense of what was the panic you must have felt when you were on your way to get your son. That kind of event can feel like it takes a larger toll than it should.

Be well, Hoot.

Sorry to read that you had to sell your Peace Dollars. Too few collectors bother to learn their idiosyncrosis. They are a misunderstood series, kind of like Laura Frazer's gold coins. Hard to grade and harder to find nice.

My 22 year old daughter also got caught in the blackout. She lives in Midtown, works in Stamford, CT. Got a car ride from Conn. but had to walk 20 blocks home in suit and heels, because of traffic, then climb 5 flights of stairs in the dark to her appt., but she survived. Glad that yours are ok also.