• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1947 Canadian maple leaf dime question

11 posts in this topic

I've got a Canadian dime question. Over the years I have put away about 48 Can. dimes starting at 1939 and going up. I have two 1947 maple leaf dimes which no other dimes have this mark beside the date. Are they worth a premium or just to designate when India became a free state? These are probably vg to fine. I've attached photos. Thanks to all.

1947v1.jpg

1947v2.jpg

Jim,

It is called the Maple Leaf Issue of 1947. When India was granted independence it posed a problem for the MInt in early 1948. The new obverse coinage tools (with the latin phrase ET INK: IMP omitted to indicate that the King was no longer the Emporor of India) would not arrive for several months. But there was a need for all denominations including the dime. The mint struck coins dated 1947 bearing the obverse with the original titles and to differentiate from the regular strikings of 1947 place the tiny maple leaf after the date.

These are actually valued at less than the normal 1947 coins. Aboout 50% less. MS 63 would be around $20.00 maybe, MS 65 about $130.00 or so I am guessing. Whereas the normal would be maybe $40 at MS 63 and up to $300.00 for MS 65.

Rey

Jim,

Also I should add that after the new master tools arrived omitting ET IND: IMP the Maple Leaf was suspended and the new 1948 coins began. These are about 30% to 40% premium over the normal 1947 without the leaf.

Rey

Wasn't 1947 when Canada was granted independence from England and made a state of the Commonwealth? The dimes were stamped with the Maple Leaf to show the change when the die changes could not be made in time to ship from London.

I believe the change regarding George VI not being the Emperor of India was another year.

Scott hi.gif

Wasn't 1947 when Canada was granted independence from England and made a state of the Commonwealth? The dimes were stamped with the Maple Leaf to show the change when the die changes could not be made in time to ship from London.

I believe the change regarding George VI not being the Emperor of India was another year.

Scott hi.gif

Nope, rbrown's correct. The Maple Leaf was for the transition between the legends rfom 1947-1948. All maple leaf issues were struck AFTER the independence of India was given in 1947, but before the new dies were received.

This resulted in the majority of 1948 issues being actually hard to find to quite scarce ($1) in relation to maple leaf issues.

Canada became a Dominion in 1867.

Thanks Rey and others,

you made me do my homework and spend some time looking instead of being lazy and actually learned something. By the way, the new issue with the latin phrase ET INK: IMP omitted, was looked at as an error by the people and was put back and saved and therefore many pristine examples of it are available, moreso than others of this era. Again thanks to all for your time.

Scott hi.gif

Nope, rbrown's correct. The Maple Leaf was for the transition between the legends rfom 1947-1948. All maple leaf issues were struck AFTER the independence of India was given in 1947, but before the new dies were received.

This resulted in the majority of 1948 issues being actually hard to find to quite scarce ($1) in relation to maple leaf issues.

Canada became a Dominion in 1867.

Ok... cool... I remember that it had to do with a design change, but I forgot for what reason!! thumbsup2.gif

Scott hi.gif

No problem. It is interesting to learn about these things. I have a lot of Canadian Coins from my Dad so that is why I had to get in there to figure some of the differences out. Actually they have some really interesting varieties, design changes throughout the years.

Glad we could all help out.

Rey

Yes, I do understand as I have bags of coins from Europe in the 60's I collected while overseas. One day I will go through them. Mostly German pfennigs and some marks(1,2&10). It will be a fun and memory laden task. Thanks again Rey.

My father in law has a bag of Indian Head Cents that he won't go to the trouble of retrieving from storage for me to go through. It is driving me nuts. Would be a perfect weekend exploration.

Maybe some day.

Rey

You know, one thing that's really nice about the Canadian series is that it won't cost you $200 Million (roughly the cost of a complete US set, IF you can buy the 1870S $3 or half dime, etc) to put together a complete set, varieties and all.....what, maybe $2-$5 million or so, if that, in top notch shape? The only drawback is the lack of beautiful obverse designs. Still, a nice, easy set to complete!