• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, has anyone here actually copper-plated a steel cent?

5 posts in this topic

What's the actual mechanical and/or chemical process used to turn a steel cent into a fake 1943 copper? Does the host coin need to be acid-treated first?

Tell us how it's done!

I've never done it, but I'm guessing you could just simply electroplate it. The simplest way to do that is to take a 9 volt battery and attach a wire to the negative post and attach something copper to the wire. You then attach a wire to the positive post and attach a steel penny to that wire. Place both the copper object and the steel penny into a bucket of water. (not touching). Current will then flow from negative to positive deposting copper atoms on to the surface of the steel penny.

JJ

I heard a story where someone found a copper 1943 cent and his wife accidentally spent it. It made the national news and the claim was made that it was worth $100,000. Someone that had a grudge against a local coin dealer bought several rolls of steel 1943 cents, had them copper plated, and then put them in circulation. People that found them drove the local coin dealer crazy.